A Note to Our Readers Regarding the Irish Times

To Our Readers:

We are aware of calls from the trans community to boycott the Irish Times over a number of recent articles and letters. We wholly sympathise with the hurt and pain these articles have caused and we wish to emphasise our commitment to platforming trans voices and highlighting the issues they face every day.

We disagree with the editorial decision of the Irish Times to publish what we believe are inflammatory, insulting and harmful opinions regarding trans people.

We believe that the Irish Times has failed to give trans people the space to discuss their own issues, opting instead to have people speak for them.

We have therefore decided to stop, with immediate effect, the inclusion of advertisements for the Irish Times student subscription in our print paper. We are also currently actively exploring alternative arrangements for the printing of our broadsheet newspaper and supplements. The newspaper’s limited budget allocation and our long-standing commitment to cost-effectiveness notwithstanding, we are eager to switch to a different printer.

The University Times is, and should be, a welcoming, inclusive place and we recognise the importance of listening to trans voices and keeping a dialogue going on how best to make them feel comfortable and heard within the paper.

Emer Moreau
Editor

Emma Taggart
Deputy Editor

Jennifer Ní Chiara
Assistant Editor

Emer Tyrrell
Assistant Editor