Return to In-Person Teaching Must be Phased, Says IFUT’s Trinity Branch

The Irish Universities Association (IUA) today published a 'Safe Return Plan' which commits to maximising students' on-campus experience in the new academic year.

Emer MoreauEditor

Trinity’s branch of the Irish Federation of University Teachers (IFUT) has expressed concern about the lack of reference to social distancing in the provisions for universities’ return to campus in September.

The Irish Universities Association (IUA) today published a “Safe Return Plan”, with the Technological Higher Education Association (THEA) and RCSI, which commits to “maximising and optimising the on-campus experience for all students” in the new academic year.

Speaking to The University Times, Chair of Trinity’s IFUT branch John Walsh said it was “surprising and disappointing” that the plan did not explicitly reference social distancing.

“It’s crucial that the return to in-person teaching is phased and incremental over the first semester”, he said. “A comprehensive return to in-person teaching on the first day of teaching term is unworkable and unsafe.”

The plan, which has the support of government, was jointly drawn up by all higher education institutions represented by the IUA, THEA and RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences.

Under the plans, institutions will implement sanitation and ventilation measures. They will also be expected to manage larger spaces and implement an upper limit on lecture lengths “depending on local context and risk assessment”.

Masks will be required indoors in accordance with public health guidelines.

In a press statement, Chair of the IUA and President of NUI Galway Prof Ciarán Ó hÓgartaigh said: “We are looking forward to welcoming our students back to our campuses. We are determined to put in place all the measures advised by public health to make the return to campus safe and sustainable for our students, our staff and for society.”

“A key element of this determination is personal as well as institutional responsibility and we urge all our students to take up the offer of a vaccination in good time for September.”

Chair of THEA Prof Vincent Cunnane said: “On behalf of the THEA institutions, we are delighted to be bringing back significantly greater numbers of students for the coming Academic Year.”

“Building on the ‘Safe Return Plan’ provides confidence to students and staff. I would urge all students to avail of the opportunity to get vaccinated to add to that level of confidence and to allow for a full student experience for the upcoming term.”

In June, the government announced its reopening plans for the next semester of college.

“It is expected that the majority of the people over 18 in Ireland will have been vaccinated by September 2021, and so planning is proceeding on the basis that full resumption of on-site activity is possible”, the Department of Higher Education said.