French Department Moves Written Exams Online Due to COVID

The date, time and duration of French exams will not change, apart from an extra 10 minutes for students to submit their work.

Emer MoreauEditor

The Department of French has moved all written exams online due to “the worsening public health situation” brought about by the coronavirus.

The date, time and duration of French exams will not change, apart from an extra 10 minutes for students to submit their work via Blackboard.

The upcoming assessment period will be a hybrid of in-person and virtual exams.

Head of the department James Hanrahan told students in an email: “In light of the worsening public health situation, the French Department has taken the decision to hold all our MT written exams online instead of in person.”

“While we were keen to hold in-person exams this term because of our belief that this is the best way to assess the learning outcomes of the modules which are assessed by formal examination, we are concerned about the risks posed by in-person exams for staff and students, and the practical difficulties for students posed by the most recent public health restrictions”, Hanrahan said. “The best way to accommodate as many students as possible in this exam session is therefore to hold exams online.”

Papers will be made available at the allotted time on Blackboard. Exams will take place as scheduled on students’ exam timetables and the duration will not change, apart from an extra 10 minutes for uploading scripts.

Hanrahan added: “Current indications from the SL suggest that the published exam timetable will not change, so that the date, time, and duration of your exams will not change as a result of the move online (apart from the extra 10 minutes for submission). Students registered with the Disability Service who would normally have an extra 10 minutes per hour will continue to have this extra time available to them.”

“We are experiencing once again turbulent times which pose problems for all of us. Please look after yourselves and each other by continuing to follow public health advice and the safety measures in place across College. By doing so we can help ensure that in-person teaching can continue.”

In an email to students last week, Senior Lecturer David Shepherd said that in-person examinations will go ahead unless government regulations change in the interim.

Students will only be allowed to defer examinations if they develop coronavirus symptoms, test positive for the virus or are a close contact of a positive case close to their exams.