The Art of the Possible: Your Week Ahead

Political debates and discussions are the theme of this week's social offering.

Clara RocheDeputy Societies Editor
Róisín Power for The University Times

Political discussion seems to be the theme of this week, with guest speakers joining to discuss the Irish border, the Ethiopian civil war and the future of North Korea, to name a few. As always though, there’s something for everyone, like dancing, Countdown and Taylor Swift karaoke.

Monday

If you’re aspiring to bigger things than dancing in front of your mirror, DU Dance is holding auditions for its contemporary intervarsity team in the Liffey Trust building at 7pm. You can register for the auditions by emailing the society.

And if singing the 10-minute version of “All Too Well” into your hairbrush isn’t cutting it anymore, you can join the DU Gender Equality Society at 8pm in the Grand Social for a Taylor Swift karaoke night.

Tuesday

At 7pm, DU Mathematical Society will join an Cumman Gaelach for a game of Countdown, taking place in Seomra na Gaeilge. Tickets are on sale from Sunday onwards through the societies’ social media.

Wednesday

At 6pm, Dr Awol Allo will join the Society for International Affairs (SOFIA) to discuss the civil war in Ethiopia. Allo is a legal academic of Ethiopian origin, who is now at risk of persecution in Ethiopia as a vocal critic of the prime minister.

At 7pm in Room 5012 of the Arts Block, DU Metaphysical Society is meeting to discuss the Tao Te Ching, a Chinese treatise on how to live in the world with goodness and integrity. Read as little or as much as you want!

Thursday

Kathryn Weathersby, a professor of Asian Studies at Georgetown University, will join SOFIA at 5pm in the Swift Theatre to discuss marketisation in North Korea, and whether this signals the end of North Korea as we know it.

This week, the University Philosophical Society’s chamber debate will be “This House Believes the island of Ireland is ready for a border poll”. Joining as guest speakers will be John Finucane, former Lord Mayor of Belfast and current Sinn Féin MP for Belfast North, Colin Harvey, a professor of human rights law at Queen’s University and Oxford academic Jennifer Cassidy. As always, the debate will take place at 7.30pm in the Graduates Memorial Building.

Friday

Unwind at the end of the week with a film by joining DU Metaphysical Society at 7pm for a screening of the acclaimed Three Colours: Red, from esteemed director Krzysztof Kieślowski. The location of the showing will be confirmed on the society’s Instagram later in the week.