Kellie Harrington Teams up With Roddy Doyle to Write Autobiography

The Olympic gold medallist will recount her youth in Dublin's north inner city, where she started her boxing journey.

Rebecca Deasy-MillarDeputy Literature Editor

Olympic gold medallist Kellie Harrington is to team up with celebrated author Roddy Doyle to write her autobiography, which will recount her life from her early days in Dublin’s north inner city.

Growing up, Harrington’s local boxing club was men only, but the young woman persisted and was eventually allowed to join. Her development into an elite boxer was confirmed with medals at the 2016 and 2018 world championships, and crowned with a gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021.

Harrington won the hearts of the country last summer when she won a gold medal in boxing. Her native North Strand played host to all sorts of celebrations on her return.

Penguin Sandycove will publish her autobiography later this year, which will tell the story of her quiet rise to greatness and her continuing commitment to living a normal life – including her decision not to go professional in her boxing career and keeping her job part of the household staff team at a hospital.

In a press statement, Harrington said: “I am delighted to have the opportunity to write my autobiography as it gives me the chance to tell my story.” Harrington said upon the announcement of the news that she will be working alongside Doyle to tell her story.

Roddy Doyle is one of Dublin’s most beloved authors. His Barrytown trilogy chronicles the trials and tribulations of a working-class family in the fictional eponymous suburb on Dublin’s north side. The three books – The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van were adapted into films.

Doyle said in a press statement: “When myself and Kellie decided to write her story together, I told her it would be an adventure. I was right – it is an adventure. Kellie uses her words like she uses her fists – brilliantly. She’s funny, sharp, honest, a born storyteller. It’s a joy working with her.”

Michael McLoughlin, a publisher at Penguin Sandycove, noted the importance of telling Harrington’s story not only because of her sporting achievements but also because of how relatable she is as an individual: “There’s a very good reason Kellie Harrington has captured the public imagination. Her gold medal at last year’s Olympics was an amazing achievement, but what really struck people was the effort it took for Kellie to reach the pinnacle of her sport, and the grace and charm with which she goes about her business.”

“Some parts of Kellie’s story are known, but there is so much still to be told. In Roddy Doyle, Kellie has chosen a co-writer who is one of our truly great storytellers”, he added.

The book will be published in autumn 2022.