Philosophy, ‘Euphoria’ and CAO Regrets: Your Week Ahead

It's refreshers' week, so there's a packed society calendar ahead.

Clara RocheDeputy Societies Editor

According to the Gaelic calendar, this week is the first week of spring, and in light of the end of the coronavirus tunnel, Refreshers’ week has been rescheduled for this week, so soak up all of the metaphorical sunshine with the societies’ best events of the week, ranging from karaoke nights to feminist book clubs.

Monday

TCD Arabesque Society returns for its first get together of the semester, hosting a burger bash in Born for Burgers on Dame St. At €10 for a burger, a drink and fries, you can’t go wrong. Returning members and fresh faces are welcome to join the society, which celebrates Arabic culture through music, art, language, poetry, fashion and, of course, food. Meet at 5pm.

Over in Goldsmith Hall at 6pm, Trinity Vincent de Paul’s Meeting of the Month will take place. This month’s theme meeting is a “Re-Intro Night” – a chance for members old and new to learn about the upcoming fundraising and social activities for the semester. Leaders will explain the different volunteering opportunities to anyone who wants to get involved.

If you’re itching for a pint after that, the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) will host a Phub Quiz for “rephreshers’ week” in the Gasworks Bar. The answers are facts, so they can’t be rebutted, but I’m sure the Phil members will try anyway.

Tuesday

For the early birds among us, the College Historical Society (the Hist) will host “Pastries for Periods” at 9am in the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) – a breakfast event in conjunction with Homeless Period Ireland. Homeless Period Ireland is a grassroots initiative which aims to alleviate period poverty around the country. Show your support and grab a coffee and a croissant while you’re at it.

At 6pm, the DU Metaphysical Society (the Metafizz) will welcome Trinity’s own Eoin McNally to Room 5012 of the Arts Block for a talk entitled “Hegel: Philosophy, Love, Limit”.

If an existential crisis sounds like your idea of a good Tuesday night, head to the GMB at 7:30pm, where members of the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) will debate the motion, “This House Regrets Their CAO Choice”. They say it’s a comedy debate, so why am I crying?

Wednesday

Members of the College Historical Society (the Hist) will debate the motion “This House Would Pay Reparations to Women”. The debate starts at 7pm with a reception in the Hist Conversation Room at 9pm. After that, the group will head to the George for a night out at 10pm.

Grab your sparkliest eyeshadow and your highest heels, because at 8pm, the Trinity Fashion Society will host a Euphoria-themed party in IdleWild Bar on Fade St. Tickets, which are free, can be secured from Monday onwards.

Thursday

At 6pm, the Trinity Afro Caribbean Society will host a movie night in the MacNeil lecture theatre in the Hamilton building. Tickets are available through the Eventbrite link on the society’s Instagram page.

The University Philosophical Society (the Phil) will make its weekly pilgrimage to the GMB at 7:30pm, this time to debate the motion, “This House Would Require Any Houses or Apartments Left Vacant For Six Months or More to be Surrendered to the State”. A short and snappy title if I ever saw one.

If Joe Rogan and Neil Young’s free for all has taught us anything, it’s that music and politics are inextricably linked. As such, Trinity Politics Society will welcome everybody to Wigwam on Middle Abbey St at 8pm for a karaoke night. Free tickets will be available in the society’s weekly email.

Friday

Enjoy a wholesome brunch date with DU Food and Drink and the Phil in the GMB at noon.

Alternatively, join the Dublin University Gender Equality Society (DUGES) for a coffee hour to discuss feminist book reccomendations. Keep an eye on the society’s social media pages, as the location will be confirmed later in the week.