An Ode to the Pav

Eliora Abramson explores the importance of supporting your college bar and what makes the Pav special.

Eliora AbramsonAssistant Editor
Photo by Conor Lucey

This article is sponsored by the Pavilion Bar.

The Pav was almost mythical to me when I first began my studies at Trinity. It was referred to with a reverence that I could truly not comprehend until I myself stepped foot in the building. Like an oasis in an immense desert (or the eye-watering price for a pint in Dublin), it sits like a landmark just off the main college square, providing both proximity and paradise for the overworked and long-suffering Trinity student.

The people who love the Pav are passionate about it. To them, it’s not just the convenience or the affordable prices. It’s the community, it’s the true and inherent sense that it is a safe space that holds a distinct duty of care for its patrons. Peadar Walsh, 2024/25 Ents officer and certified Pav lover, shared with me how much the Pav means to him. 

“I’ve been to many student bars around the country, but none of them match the vibe found in the Pav. Having a proper student bar on such a small campus in the city centre is a luxury that I don’t think is appreciated by enough people here. I love the energy of a Pav Friday, where every kind of student at Trinity ends up in the same spot having the craic after a long week in college. Then, when the sun starts to shine around the end of semester two, and the Pavilion is mobbed with people grooving to DUDJ’s finest? Awh stop. Some of my best memories were made at the Pav, and with the new emphasis on bigger events there, the best is yet to come.”

And Walsh isn’t the only one. Second year student Molly Morris was asked if she was a fan of the Pav. “The real question is who isn’t a Pav fan,” Morris said. 

Fourth year student Scarlett Ferry mentioned that she felt the Pav “seems to be the only place on campus where it’s an actual fun student gathering that isn’t society specific”. 

General Manager Aiden Moroney and Conor Lucey who oversees socials and marketing for the Pav expressed how crucial it is for the Pav to be a beacon of inclusivity at college. From booking events with Qsoc to hosting drag shows to being wheelchair accessible, the Pav aims to be as welcoming as possible to students from all walks of life. They also staunchly look after their patrons, impressing the importance of their duty of care over students in an environment where alcohol is consumed. Students should rest assured that the staff holds genuine affection for their patrons, with Lucey emphasising,“we take care of everyone”. Safety is a priority for the Pav and Moroney and Lucey shared that as the Pav works off of a club licence, meaning they reserve the right to only allow members (students) enter. 

Supporting the Pav is crucial as its profits generate income for the sporting clubs of Trinity Sport Union. 

In addition to this positive financial impact, the Pav also provides Trinity students with jobs which are adaptable to their busy schedules. Crucially, Moroney and Lucey shared that nearly all the advertising for positions at the Pav is internal, meaning that students are prioritised when it comes to hiring, a gesture that can be considered a god-send in the arduous Dublin job market. 

The Pav is also committed to enforcing sustainability by endeavouring to use the least amount of plastic possible. The kitchen products are now entirely compostable and orders for plastic in the last year had declined drastically. They are also dedicated to a system that separates cans and plastics for recycling. 

Though the Pav may be (rightfully) known for the famous Pav Friday, their events exist far beyond Friday nights. They are a bookable space for societies and have a strong relationship with departments across campus, with staff events, holiday parties, and coffee mornings. They continue to employ a strong staff throughout the summer and have a firm presence when it comes to on campus catering, engaging in regular booking with many departments. Booking the Pav has never been easier, you need only email them at [email protected] or even just stop by.

Moroney and Lucey, along with the entirety of the Pav’s staff, are deeply committed to maintaining and further developing the rich and necessary relationship with students. They emphasise that their priority is the students of Trinity first, and then profit, explaining for them it’s all about “engaging with the college community”. Moroney says, “we are here and we will work with you”, referring to creating a safe space that is integral to the social life of the college. 

Though hard to believe given its years of success and general popularity among the student population, it is clear that the best is only yet to come for the Pav. With plans in place for five big Pav Fridays (kicking off on the 13th of September), as well as new developments such as serving hot food at the marquee and a new menu expected to debut in mid-September, students can follow along and stay up to date with events via the Pav’s Instagram (@the-pavilion-bar). Whether it’s the meet up spot for lunch with friends, a place to study where the coffee flows, or a stop during Pres before a night out in town, there truly is no more versatile or well-loved place on campus than the Pav. Personally, it’s the one place I can’t and don’t ever want to imagine Trinity without.