Fencing at Grand Canal Predicted to Cost the State Half a Million Euro

The barriers described as “symbols of exclusion” are unlikely to be removed before October.

Molly Wetsch and Brídín Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce

Controversial fencing placed along the Grand Canal by Waterways Ireland is unlikely to be removed until October, according to a statement from TD Ivana Bacik to The University Times

The fencing, which Waterways Ireland says has been erected to prevent tents from being pitched along the canal, has been the subject of much debate, with protests from Take Back Our Spaces occurring over the weekend.

“We in Labour have found the continued inaction by Government to be deeply frustrating and will continue to raise the need for the Government to remove the unsightly fencing, and instead provide a proper plan for provision of housing and of accommodation so that nobody is left to sleep in tents on streets anywhere,” Bacik said.

Though the fencing was originally meant to be a temporary measure as Waterways Ireland writes plans for the restructuring of the area, its continued maintenance up to October could cost the state approximately €390,000, according to The University Times’ calculations. The Journal reported in July that Waterways Ireland has spent more than €170,000 on removing tents and erecting fencing around the canal, and Waterways Ireland have stated that it now costs €30,000 a week to maintain the barricades.

“I have been in contact directly with Waterways Ireland on this on several occasions; but they have not been helpful with any sense that the barriers are to be moved anytime soon, and indeed they indicated that it was likely to be October before the barriers would be removed,” Bacik said. 

Waterways Ireland have said that the cross-border organisation is currently trying to redesign the Grand Canal to prevent tents from being pitched. The public body recently announced 200 million euro will be invested in Ireland’s waterways under their jurisdiction in the next three years. 

The University Times have contacted Waterways Ireland for comment.