Booker Prize Nominee Colin Barrett on His Debut Novel Wild Houses

A deep dive into loneliness and rural Ireland

Chloe FeldmanDeputy Literature Editor

In the intimate setting of the Books Upstairs cafe, Irish-Canadian author Colin Barrett spoke about his first novel, Wild Houses, which was longlisted for this year’s Booker Prize. Wild Houses, set against the backdrop of Ballina, County Mayo, describes the events of the town’s local dealer, Cillian, who becomes entangled in a debt feud leading to his younger brother, Doll, getting taken hostage by his enforcers. Although the plot in itself is intriguing, what captivates the reader is Barrett’s nuanced portrayal of the characters. 

Through its narrative approach and character portrayal, the novel explores the theme of loneliness. Barrett captures this with his choice of third-person perspective split between two characters, Nicky and Dev, who both experience isolation and loneliness in their own form. Although neither Dev nor Nicky drive the central plot, we are watching it unfold from their viewpoint, acting as two anchors when there is a need for grounding. While Nicky is constantly on the move and keeping herself preoccupied, her inner monologue contains constant signals of loneliness. In contrast, Dev is stuck in the past and as a recluse, he represents the stereotypical image of a character experiencing isolation. Yet the overarching theme of loneliness and dual perspective brings to light how the sentiment can be felt in different forms, especially in rural towns. Barrett describes how this was done reflecting that sometimes characters are more intriguing from an external perspective, rather than getting to know their inner monologue. This can be taken away as not only a lesson for novel writing but also regarding human connection.

Photo of Books Upstairs event by Molly Wetsch for The University Times.

Beyond the theme of loneliness, Wild Houses showcases Barrett’s talent for storytelling, which makes it a pleasure to read. During the Q&A, Barrett shared that he trusts his readers will be patient with his characters. When looking back at the novel, this sentiment is clear, not because the novel is slow-paced, but instead because the more the reader waits, the more details emerge. Backstories develop, new characters are introduced, and bits and pieces of the novel all come together leaving the reader satisfied.

The description of rural Irish towns, reminiscent of Paul Murray’s The Bee Sting, which was shortlisted for the 2023 Booker Prize, creates a lasting impact long after finishing the book and will make you want to go down the country for the weekend. Although Wild Houses was Barrett’s first novel, he has achieved great success with his short story collections, where one story from his collection Young Skins was adapted into an award-winning film. At the end of the Q&A, Barrett hinted at working on more novels, and after the delight of reading Wild Houses, Barrett’s next work will surely find a spot on my to-be-read (TBR) pile.