Forcing Students to Take 51 Week Tenancies is now Illegal Due to Emergency Legislation

New bill banning 51 week leases has been signed into law by President Michael D. Higgins.

Anna DomownikSenior Editor
Isabelle Slentz for the University Times

Following emergency action in the Dáil, President Mícheal D. Higgins signed the Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2024 on the 12th of July. The bill, amending the earlier Residential Tenancies Act 2004, prevents housing providers from forcing students to take 51-week tenancies. The newly enforced lease period is no more than 41 weeks. 

The bill was raised this year by the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) with the Department of Further and Higher Education in response to landlords forcing student tenants to take 51 week leases. It was subsequently fast-tracked in early July, due to concerns that it would not be signed and enacted before the Dáil summer recess. 

“While a 51-week lease may suit some third-level students, it is neither desirable or affordable for the vast majority of students” said Fine Gael’s spokesperson on Housing, Senator John Cummins.

The academic year in Ireland lasts 35 weeks (September-May). The 51-week tenancies forced already struggling students to pay rent for a significant period during which they were not in residence due to the summer holidays. 

A provision remains for students who do require accommodation during the summer months (over the 41-week limit). Additionally, the new bill prevents homeowners from charging more than one month’s rent in advance, except when the leasing party is paying both tuition fees and rent to the same provider. 

The commencement order has been set for July 19th, which means the issue is now settled ahead of the academic year (2024/25), ensuring that new leases are now more accessible and affordable for students.