Nineteen Protestors Arrested at Anti-Immigration Protest on Grafton Street

The protest was met with a counter-protest led by United Against Racism with members of TCDSU in attendance.

Sophie MorrisseyContributing Writer
Photo by Sophie Quinn for The University Times

Yesterday on the corner of Grafton and Suffolk Street an anti-immigration protest was met with resistance from a counter-protest organised by activist group United Against Racism. The protest and counter-protest were separated by a metal barrier and the presence of Gardaí, with the anti-immigration cohort outnumbering the counter-protestors by approximately two to one. 

The anti-immigration protest voiced opposition to housing immigrants in Thornton Hall with posters. Protesters were heard shouting “You’ll never beat the Irish. The real Irish”, among other phrases intended to link the anti-immigration movement with cultural identity and pride. 

The counter-protest referenced the threat to safety that the anti-immigration movement poses to people of colour and refugees. 

Animosity between the two sides was clear with verbal exchanges across the metal barrier as well as continuous use of the middle finger. 

“Stop climate change, not refugees” was the key tagline of United against racism’s counter-protest, as seen on signs and banners. Attendees of the counter-protest carried a series of signs accusing the protest of supporting fascism. 

Anti-immigration protestors held up traffic on O’Connell Street or brief periods throughout the demonstration. The Garda Press Office reported that nineteen protestors were arrested for public order offences and that 100 uniformed Gardaí were on-duty to facilitate the protests.