Ireland Triumphs in 100th Year Anniversary of Olympic Competition

Eliora AbramsonAssistant Editor
Photo courtesy of Trinity Sports Union.

Ireland’s 100th year anniversary of competing as an independent country was a triumph at the 2024 Paris Olympics and Paralympic  Ireland won seven medals overall, four golds and three bronzes, the most in Ireland’s Olympic history, sending a record 134 athletes across 15 sports. 

Swimming was the highlight for Ireland, with Daniel Wiffen taking home gold and bronze for the men’s 800 and 1500 metre freestyle respectively. He was not the only Irish athlete to win a medal for swimming with Mona McSharry winning a bronze medal in the women’s 100 metre breaststroke.

Rowing was also a massive success for Ireland with Fintan McCarthy and Paul O’Donovan winning gold in men’s lightweight double sculls and Daire Lynch and Philip Doyle taking bronze for men’s double suclls. 

The third gold for Ireland was won by Rhys McClenaghan in gymnastics for men’s pommel horse and the final going to boxer Kellie Harrington who competed and won the women’s lightweight competition.

Two Trinity alumni competed in the Olympics, Aifric Keogh (MBA ‘22) competed in the women’s rowing semi finals, while Jack Kelly (Law ‘19) played in Paris on the Irish Rugby Sevens Team. Also in Paris was Trinity staff member David Fitzgerald. The Trinity Hockey Development Officer represented Ireland as part of the Irish Men’s Hockey coaching team as Goalkeeping Coach. 

In addition to Fitzgerald, there were numerous Trinity Olympic Ambassadors including Jim O’Donovan who received a Masters from Trinity in 2013 for Sports and Exercise Medicine. O’Donovan was team doctor in Rio as well as Chief Medical Officer for the 2020 Tokyo and 2024 Paris Games. Dr Alison Keogh, who received a MSc in Sports and Exercise Medicine from Trinity in 2012, also attended Paris Olympics as a hockey umpire. 

Ireland additionally had a highly victorious Paralympics, sending 35 athletes in nine sports and taking home six medals. Katie-George Dunlevy with pilot Linda Kelly claimed gold in cycling for the women’s road time trial B. Dunvely also won silver for the women’s road race B and women’s individual pursuit B with pilots Linda Kelly and Eve McCrystal respectively. Róisín Ní Ríain won both a silver and bronze medal for swimming in the women’s 100 metre backstroke S13 and the women’s 200 metre individual medley SM13. Finally, Orla Comerford won a bronze in athletics for the women’s 100 metre T13. 

Director of Sport and Physical Activity at Trinity, Michelle Tanner commented, “The Olympics and Paralympics brings out the best in human endeavour and instils a long-lasting sense of achievement and enjoyment to competitors and spectators alike. The Olympic and Paralympic Games inspires individuals of all backgrounds to pursue excellence and embrace the joy of sport”.