Palestinian Solidarity Posters Taken Down at Nassau Street Trinity Entrance and Replaced by #BringThemHomeNow Sticker

Last night 24 posters on a TCDSU noticeboard were pulled, allegedly damaging the noticeboard in the process.

Natalia Kamendy and Brídín Ní Fhearraigh-Joyce
Photo by Sophie Quinn for The University Times

Last night, posters featuring a Palestinian flag with the words “Trinity. The World is Watching” were taken down from a Students Union noticeboard and replaced with a sticker reading “#BringThemHomeNow”. The Students Union has requested for CCTV footage from campus security to identify who was involved in taking down the posters. 

The noticeboard, which is located on the Nassau Street entrance, has since been covered by a Palestinian flag.

Trinity College Dublin Students Union (TCDSU)  asked Campus security to monitor the noticeboard. TCDSU President Jenny Maguire stated via Instagram that the noticeboard is “damaged”. 

It is unclear if members of the public, students, or an organisation was involved in the taking down of posters. It is also unknown if the person replacing the poster acted alone. 

The slogan “#BringThemHomeNow” is a reference to the 97 Israeli hostages who remain unaccounted for, a year on from Hamas-led attacks on October 7th 2023. 

TCDSU Welfare Officer Hamza Bana and President Jenny Maguire have denounced the sticker as “Zionist Propaganda” via Instagram. 

The “Trinity. The World is Watching” poster is intended to put pressure on the College to create a Boycott, Divest, Sanctions Taskforce to investigate the College’s academic ties to Israel, as agreed as an outcome of the Trinity Encampment. 

Yesterday, the Terms of Reference for the BDS task force was agreed at a University Board meeting, which will be voted upon next week at Students’ Union Council.