Thursday Night Dates Brings back the Magic of Meeting in Person

Caity Cassidy reviews the new weekly singles event that's taking Dublin by storm.

Caity CassidyContributing Writer

We all know it a bit too well – the defeat of reinstalling the dreaded dating apps. The endless, monotonous swiping until you’re met with one of three inevitable outcomes: ghosted, situationship, or, if you’re really lucky, catfished. And when that catfish starts making you consider calling the authorities, you finally treat yourself to one small victory—hitting the block button. For many, dating apps have become nothing more than a mindless shuffle through profiles within a set kilometre radius.

What’s the alternative? Wandering through Trinity College Green, hoping to lock eyes with your next great love? While that’s a semi-viable option, we have a suggestion for those ready to take more action in their love life. Thursday Dating Dublin is breathing life back into the city’s dating scene, one Thursday at a time.

This laid-back social event invites Dublin singles to step away from their screens and into a real community where they can well… mingle. A space where you don’t have to summon the courage to approach the hot, mysterious stranger at the bar, only to find out they’re already taken. Instead, you walk into a room where everyone’s on the same page—ready to connect, engage, and be a little vulnerable. No glowing screens, no copy-and-paste pick-up lines.

This weekly gathering takes place every Thursday at varying venues. Tickets can be purchased on the group’s website and Instagram for just €10. And while love may not cost a thing, a tenner feels fairly reasonable to be apart of a space full of open-minded, open-hearted Dubliners, both old and new, like yourself.

When asked why attendees traded their phones for a Thursday evening with strangers, their responses echoed a universal truth: the desire to authentically connect with others. It’s the age-old search for real, genuine connection—a feeling that, in our hyper-connected world, seems more elusive than ever.

Take this as your invitation to connect your next potential love interest. If it’s not your scene,  the dating apps will still be right where you left them. But you never know who sparks might fly with—especially at Thursday Dating Dublin’s next event.