Trinity Keeps its Spot in the Top 100 in the 2025 QS World University Rankings

Humanities rise, while College's Sustainability ranking drops.

Natalia KamendyDeputy News Editor
Photo by Rachel Conway for The University Times.

Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World Rankings ranked over 1,500 universities across multiple countries and territories in the 2025 edition of its annual report on the top global universities. The report ranks universities based on employer and academic reputation, student-to-faculty member ratio, and citation per faculty member. The QS World Rankings system aims to provide accurate data about higher education institutions for prospective students.

Trinity College Dublin ranked 87th globally, scoring 62.9 out of a 100 overall score. Compared to the previous year’s 81st spot, Trinity’s ranking fell considerably due to its sustainability score. The university’s sustainability score fell from 75.6 points to 57.7, putting Trinity in the 277th spot in the QS World University Sustainability Rankings table. 

In subject rankings, Trinity saw a steady rise in its Arts and Humanities subjects, landing in the 52nd spot, with subjects like English (21), Performing Arts (40) and Theology (49) placed in the top 50. Factoring in data such as academic reputation, H-index citations and employer reputation, the Arts and Humanities department’s ranking demonstrates a clear dedication to academic excellence.  

While the Arts and Humanities subjects placed highly in the table, STEM subjects have either maintained or fallen in their respective rankings, most notably Computer Science, which moved from its 91st spot to the 109th. However, subjects like Pharmacy (26) and Nursing (26) have kept their strong presence in the upper top 50. Overall, most Arts and Humanities subjects have ranked considerably higher than STEM subjects, however, almost all of Trinity’s subjects remain in the top 100, reaffirming its status as a world-class institution.

The gap between STEM and Arts and Humanities subjects is evident even from the College’s report on said rankings by the Trinity Long Room Hub Arts and Humanities Research Institute’s Communications Officer. Only spotlighting its high score in the Arts, the QS World Rankings by Subject report is only mentioned on the Institute’s website. In a similar report published in the News section of Trinity’s website, the College’s large jump in employer reputation is praised while the decrease in the Sustainability ranking is not mentioned.

Earlier this year, the Provost expressed her gratitude to the staff and students on LinkedIn, thanking them for Trinity’s consistently high ranking: “It is the talent of our staff and students that has placed Trinity in the Top 100 universities in the world for three years in a row now.”Doyle also voiced concerns about the sustainability of maintaining a high QS ranking, saying, “This position, however, remains unsustainable, especially in a country that has allowed investment into education and research to take a backseat.”

In comparison to other Irish universities, Trinity College lands at the top of the table, with University College Dublin (UCD) coming in second on the 126th spot. University College Cork (UCC) and the University of Galway both took the 273rd spot. With the exception of Trinity College, no other Irish university has made it into the top 100 in the QS report.

Overall, Trinity remains a strong presence in the top 100 universities in the world, with 22 subjects ranking in the top 100, marking Trinity as having a strong academic reputation internationally.