Trinity Launches New Global Footprint Tracker Tool in an Initiative to Diversify Campus

While Ireland is the country of origin for the majority of Trinity students, College currently has 1,765 students from the United States and 938 from China enrolled out of the total student population.

Nicole SaluckDeputy News Editor
Photo by NASA from Unsplash.

Trinity is recognized as the “31st most international university in the world”. In recent years, Trinity has shown a commitment to further its globalisation efforts. With the initiation of a global footprint tracker, Trinity has furthered its efforts to appeal to international students.

The Global Footprint Initiative recently launched new tracking software which allows its website to showcase the national origins of its students, alumni, international partners, joint programme partners, Erasmus exchange partners, international exchange partners and network members. The tracker is a visual representation of the geographical diversity of Trinity students, with countries depicted in various shades of blue. Dark Blue countries indicate higher concentrations of Trinity students, while lighter shades indicate regions with lesser student enrolment. While Ireland is home to the largest proportion of Trinity students, various other countries around the world have significant student representation. For example, Trinity currently has 1,765 students from the United States and 938 from China out of a 22,000 total student population. 

Trinity has established networks and alliances with several global foundations that enable students to connect with each other to enhance its international reach. The Erasmus Programme, for instance, facilitates student’s international exchange opportunities through partnerships with over 300 countries worldwide.

In line with its international focus, Trinity recently coordinated a delegation to attend the Coimbra Group Annual Conference, an event that brings scholars, researchers and students together to explore worldwide topics, under the theme, “Africa meets Europe.” As a member of the Coimbra Group’s network of prestigious European Universities, Trinity aims to strengthen its global partnerships and academic collaborations.

Trinity is part of another initiative program, Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad (CASA), a nonprofit organisation that offers exchange opportunities for Trinity undergraduate students, an opportunity to immerse themselves in different cultures. According to Trinity’s Global Annual report, during the 2023-2024 school year, “63 Trinity students supported the CASA Dublin,” joining universities such as Brown University and Columbia University.

The report also discussed both Trinity’s recent celebration of the Indian holiday Diwali, hosted by the Vice President for Global Engagement and the second annual “‘Łukasiewicz Lecture’, in collaboration with the Polish Embassy and the School of Mathematics,”

By engaging with over 140 countries, Trinity’s goal is to increase its global diversification. Emma Stokes, Trinity’s Vice President for Global Engagement, summarised Trinity’s new initiatives to expand its footprint, describing the “Pathway to Belonging” initiative as a “tangible commitment, a programme intended to support students by making them feel welcome at Trinity”. This program supports students in their transition to college and integration into Irish culture, helping place Trinity on the radar of students worldwide. 

Trinity’s approach to globalisation has been multifaceted, including fostering international cooperation and the free exchange of ideas with initiatives including, “visits to and from embassies as well as the Department of Foreign Affairs, European institutions including ambassadors, government delegations, dignitaries, and donors to the University”. However these efforts have not been without critique. According to Business Post, The former Provost Patrick Prendergast was accused of treating international students as “cash cows”, attempting to globalise Trinity for the sake of increasing college funds. 

While Trinity’s globalisation has undoubtedly increased Trinity’s international presence, there has been a debate in the past whether international students’ economic contributions are favoured over the cultural diversity they bring to campus.