DU Players sweep up at national student drama awards

A Woman of No Importance. Photo: DU Players

Jack Leahy

News Editor

DU Players, Trinity College’s student drama society, has won 10 of the 13 available awards at the Irish Student Drama Association’s annual awards ball for three plays submitted to the national student drama organisation. The awards recognise extraordinary performance, acting, directing, and technical achievements in student productions.

A Woman of No Importance, directed by Darren Sinnot and performed in the Samuel Beckett Theatre February 19th-22nd 2013, won the award for best production, while Andy Duane won the award for best actor for his role in The Woman Who Cooked her Husband.

Rachel Shearer claimed the award for Best New Writing for One More Minute, while awards for Best Supporting Actor and Actress went to Matthew Malone and Breffni Holohan respectively for their roles in A Woman of No Importance.

Further honours were for Patrick Culhane (Best Director, The Woman Who Cooked Her Husband), Jonathan Shanahan (Best Lighting, A Woman of No Importance), Maisie Richards Cottell (Best Set, A Woman of No Importance), Molly O’Cathain and Paige Reynolds (Best Costume and Make-up) and Claire O’Reilly, Vanetia Bowe and Breffni Holahan (Special Award for Best Ensemble, One More Minute).

In total, the three Players productions received 24 individual nominations.

Speaking to The University Times, DU Players chairperson Heather Walsh said:

‘Obviously we are delighted by all our nominations and wins at the Irish Student Drama Awards. It really displays that theatre-making is the core of our society and our belief that our members are some of the most talented people in the trade. To have that in writing, or more literally, in crystal, is an absolute joy and a credit to Players.’