Trinity Centre for Asian Studies Officially Opened

Trinity also launched a new master's degree in Chinese Studies, the first of its kind in College.

Paul GlynnNews Editor

Trinity launched its new Centre for Asian Studies today at a ceremony in Front Square. The centre was opened by the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Charlie Flanagan.

The new centre aims to provide an opportunity for the specialised study of Asia – in particular China, Japan and Korea – primarily through cultural studies and languages.

Speaking at the occasion, Minister Flanagan reiterated the government’s commitment to maintaining its strong links, particularly in educational matters, with China and the East.

“One area where Ireland and our Asian partners clearly share strong values is the importance we attach to education”, Flanagan said.

He continued: “There are many locations across Asia where our impressive tradition in education is well known thanks to years of work by both Irish missionaries, and more recently, by Irish people who have spent time teaching in Asia.”

“The new centre and the masters in Chinese studies are very welcome developments which highlight Trinity’s ongoing commitment to engagement with Asia”, he said.

Professor Lorna Carson, Director of the new centre and a current Assistant Professor in Applied Linguistics, said of the opening: “We see Asian studies as a vital part of a modern Trinity education – a unique and vibrant part of their educational experience which equips its students to be global citizens. We are delighted that our staff and students in Korean, Japanese and Chinese Studies are now located in our new multidisciplinary centre”.

Along with the opening of the centre, a new two-year MPhil program in Chinese Studies was launched. The program, with strands for both beginners in the Chinese language and for those who have studied it before, has seen the recruitment of additional professors in history, political science and linguistics.

The new degree programme is supported philanthropically through funds from Dr Sam Lam, a graduate of Trinity from Hong Kong. Two student scholarships for the program have also been supported through the philanthropic donations of Trinity alumni with business connections in Asia.

Commenting on the launch of the program, Carson said that “Trinity’s new masters in Chinese studies offers a very special opportunity for our students to gain expertise in key aspects of contemporary Chinese society, history, politics as well as to hone their language skills.”

As well as the Chinese Studies graduate programme and the numerous research opportunities available, the centre also hosts nine courses in Mandarin Chinese, five in Japanese and five in Korean, all of which are fully subscribed.