TCDSU Elections 2016

Rowley Elected Ents Officer in TCDSU Elections

Rowley won on the fourth count with 50.6 per cent, with Caolán Maher coming in second place.

Eleanor O'Mahony and Dominic McGrath
Sam McAllister for The University Times

Padraic Rowley has been elected Ents Officer for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) on the fourth count with 50.6 per cent of the vote in the most-highly contested race of this year’s elections.

Caolán Maher came in at second place, with 38.3 per cent of the vote.

On the first count, Rowley received 36.2 per cent of the vote, while Maher trailed closely behind with 28.3 per cent. Re-open nominations was eliminated and the votes were redistributed. Grace O’Boyle was eliminated on the second count with only 13.4 per cent. On the third count, Katie Browne was eliminated, receiving just 25.1 per cent of the vote.

On Tuesday, The University Times, in three-day in-person poll of 1,007 students, put Rowley on 31.5 per cent, with Maher on 30.6 per cent on the first count. Browne and O’Royle trailed behind, on 22.1 per cent and 14.1 per cent respectively.

In the poll, transfer analysis showed that in the second round, after the elimination of O’Boyle and re-open nominations, Rowley increased his vote share to 38.86 per cent – after taking 52.5 per cent of O’Boyle’s second preferences,with Maher trailing behind on 34.7 per cent on the second count.

During the campaign, Rowley emphasised his plan for ents to act as a forum for large and diverse events, and to provide students with the best possible experiences while in college.

The race was particularly controversial this year, with candidate Maher repeatedly fined by the Electoral Commission (EC) for a number of infractions. As of February 11th, Maher only had 35 out of 100 credits left.

On February 11th, The University Times reported that Maher was seen handing out free cans in Trinity Hall the previous night.

Maher, however, consistently denied the charge. Speaking to The University Times, Maher said: “That was not me. I don’t do that. That 100 per cent was not me because I know the [Electoral Commission] guidelines”. He also said that no-one handed out cans on his behalf.