Trinity-led Findings Significant Step to Treating Neurodegenerative Diseases

The research, which allows scientists to view the folding of proteins, can also lead to treatments for allergies.

Róisín Power News Editor
Martin Hegner, right, has led the team of scientists to the first observation of proteins folding while being produced.
TCD Photo

Trinity physics professor Martin Hegner has led an international team of scientists to the first observation of proteins folding while being produced, which would lead to a better understanding neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.

Hegner is an investigator in Trinity’s Centre for Research on Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices (CRANN) and the discovery will help scientists better understand protein synthesis, one of the most fundamental processes that happens in the body, whereby cells generate proteins.

“The ribosome translation machinery is a highly complex system”, explained Hegner in a statement. “Investigating this system at the single-molecule level required a highly ambitious and multi-faceted approach that pushes the boundaries of what is technically possible.”

The find will potentially let scientists see how misfolded proteins are formed. These misfolded proteins are believed to lead to allergies and several neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson’s disease. It is hoped that the research will lead to a drug therapy that can prevent misfolding, with pharmaceutical companies expressing interest in Hegner’s work.
The actual process of protein synthesis is still not fully understood by scientists, meaning that any research that contributes to our understanding of the folding process of proteins is highly significant.

Ribosomes, the molecules that use genetic information to form proteins, are the focus of Hegner’s work. Proteins play a vital biological role in a range of bodily functions. Enzymes, which are built from proteins, are used to break down food, or they help form connective tissues and muscles.

The instrument they designed has allowed Hegner, and his colleagues in Germany, to “grab” the ribosome and the nascent protein chain and provided sufficient stability and sensitivity to observe the synthesis and folding” of a single protein. Such instruments are incredibly rare, even in the world of molecular biology – there are only five other such devices in the world that can provide the tweezer-like action necessary to “grab” the ribosome.

“This was the first time this was observed worldwide and it is very significant to the research community and in developing more in-depth understandings of protein synthesis, – folding and certain diseases”, added Hegner. The findings have been published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a prestigious US science journal.

In 2016, Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) awarded Hegner €1.3 million for his work.