Luke O’Neill Ranked in Top One Per Cent of Cited Researchers

Prof Jonathan Coleman was also named on the list, which comprises over 3,300 top researchers.

Kathleen McNameeNews Editor

Two Trinity researchers, Prof Luke O’Neill and Prof Jonathan Coleman, have been ranked in the top one per cent of most-cited researchers in their respective fields by Clarivate Analytics, a global leader in insights and analytics.

The list is based off data that the company collects from its “Web of Science” platform, which is a database of over 33,000 scientific journals. Researchers are chosen on the basis that they have a high number of published papers which appear in the top one per cent of most-cited in their research area over the last 11 years.

The list is composed of over 3,300 researchers, with the Trinity professors two of only nine Irish researchers listed.

Coleman, a principal investigator in Trinity’s Centre for Research on Adaptive Nanostructures and Nanodevices (CRANN), focuses his research on the study of one-dimensional nanostructures including carbon nanotubes and inorganic nanowires. His work is important for the fabrication of advanced composites for electrical and mechanical applications. Coleman is also a professor in the School of Physics and is a Fellow of the College.

Leading a research group on immunology and inflammation in Trinity, O’Neill is regarded as a leading researcher in the area. A fellow of the Royal Society, the oldest scientific society is existence, he is a professor in the School of Biochemistry.

Other researchers on the most-cited list are specialists in a range of areas such as cancer genomics, solar cells and gene editing.