Zombie Prosthetics and Lego at Dublin International Film Festival

Exploring everything from zombie prosthetics to Lego animation, this film festival is bound to excite and entertain.

Rachel ForanContributing Writer

A myriad of unmissable events are set to take place across the city this month thanks to the Audi Dublin International Film Festival. Film screenings, interactive workshops and interviews with illustrious figures in the entertainment industry will occur between February 21st and March 4th. In the grand tradition of the ADIFF, an impressive number of guests will also attend the event, including the likes of Vanessa Redgrave, Tom Vaughan-Lawlor, Ellen Page and Elliot Cowan.

The festival focuses on portraying the diversity of cinema and showcases an eclectic selection of films. Whether you enjoy documentaries, short films or world cinema, you’re sure to find something of interest during these eleven days. A selection of short films will be shown in the Light House Cinema from February 24th to 28th.

Presentations of rare and influential films will occur in partnership with the San Francisco Film Festival and the French Embassy in Ireland. The festival places an emphasis on Irish film and opens with the historical thriller Black 47 by Lance Daly which follows an Irish ranger and his family who find themselves plunged into the darkest year of the Great Famine. David Freyne’s highly-anticipated Cured starring Ellen Page and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor will be debuted at the Light House. Other screenings include Marc Meyer’s My Friend Dahmer, Colin Finley’s Thoroughbreds, and the classic An American in Paris by Vincente Minnelli.

The more technical side of filmmaking will also be explored during the festival’s run. A zombie prosthetics workshop, a Lego animation workshop, a writer’s masterclass, and a graphic design workshop will allow you to look at the practical side of filmmaking, while a case study of Kissing Candace and a discussion about the law in film will help you to critically analyse the films you see during the festival. For anyone looking to forge a career in film, the speed dating and networking session on February 24th and subsequent careers day taking place on March 1st will be both insightful and infinitely useful.

An exciting occurrence this year will be the festival’s Virtual Reality Conference. Running from February 24th to 25th, this conference will be centred on the future of immersive entertainment and will feature a range of guest speakers.

Thankfully, students are incredibly prominent throughout the programme. Second-year students at the National College of Art and Design have interpreted a collection of the festival’s films and will have their artwork presented. Students will also receive a 10 per cent discount off ticket prices when the sale is made in person.

Tickets can be bought online at ADIFF.ie or at the relevant cinema 30 minutes before the film starts.