USI and SSE Airtricity Launch 21-Day Sustainability Challenge

The initiative will encourage students to make small, environmentally conscious changes in their everyday lives

Alexandra PletcherContributing Writer

The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) has teamed up with SSE Airtricity to encourage students to make more environmentally conscious choices in a 21-day challenge.

The initiative seeks to inform students of ways in which they can make more sustainable choices in their everyday lives.

The challenge encourages small changes such as only boiling the required amount of water to make tea instead of fully filling the kettle. Other actions include choosing locally sourced food, opting for sustainable fashion and eco-friendly beauty products or switching off appliances when not in use.

Speaking at the launch of the challenge, USI President Lorna Fitzpatrick said: “The Union of Students in Ireland are delighted to announce the sustainability partnership with SSE Airtricity with the launch of the ‘21 Day Energy Challenge’. This challenge feeds in to our Student Switch Off Project which encourages students to save energy, tackle climate change and prevent fuel poverty.”

“Throughout the 21 days, we will be providing students with everyday tips to change the way they use energy in their homes”, she said. “By integrating these tips into their everyday lives, students will have the chance to both save money and prevent fuel poverty.”

Fitzpatrick said the union was “so happy” to be partnering with SSE Airtricity for the initiative. SSE Airtricity managing director Klair Neenan said at the launch: “Over the next three weeks, we hope students around Ireland will see the benefits of making more sustainable choices and saving energy.”

“At SSE Airtricity, we believe this is Generation Green”, Neenan said. “Making small changes to our daily lives, like how we make a cup of tea, can make a big difference.”

“It takes just 21 days to develop a habit, and small steps such as ditching unnecessary appliances, commuting smarter, adjusting the heating thermostat by one degree or even choosing a veggie option at mealtimes can help move towards a greener lifestyle”, Fitzpatrick added.

Richard Bruton TD, the minister for communications, climate action and environment, also attended the launch. He said that “thinking fast often leads us to miss smart choices. This campaign asks us to stop and think”.

“Small changes in our habits can make a big difference”, he continued. “This does not alter the obligation on government to lead on some vital big choices, like the sort of infrastructure we build.”

The government published the Climate Action Plan earlier this year, which outlines actions across every sector to tackle climate change. The plan aims to reduce carbon emissions by 30 per cent between 2021 and 2030, and put Ireland on a path to achieving net zero emissions by 2050

“Reaching this goal will also require a big shift in individual behaviour”, Bruton said, “and I encourage everyone to get behind this campaign and take up the challenge”.