Five Confirmed Cases of Coronavirus at TBSI

TBSI has suspended all practical classes due to take place in the associated lab for the next week.

Sárán FogartyNews Editor

An outbreak of coronavirus has occurred in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI), College has confirmed this evening.

Five cases of coronavirus have been reported in the building, associated with spaces used by the School of Biochemistry and Immunology, located on the third floor and the loading bay on the ground floor of TBSI.

In an email sent to affected students, seen by The University Times, Head of the School of Biochemistry and Immunology Dr Derek Nolan said: “A Public Health risk assessment has been undertaken, and all close contacts have been identified and tested.”

Nolan informed students that “in light of these events, and to ensure the safety of all staff and students, it has been decided to suspend teaching of all practical classes that were scheduled to take place in the teaching laboratory (3.22) next week (16th to 20th inclusive)”.

“As a precautionary measure we are, in this email, specifically reaching out to all students and staff who were present for practical classes in the teaching laboratory from Nov 2nd to inform you of the situation.”

“We ask that all staff and students remain vigilant and contact the College Health Service should they develop any symptoms of Covid-19, as Public Health have advised early testing for any symptomatic individuals.”

“Practical classes will resume in the teaching laboratory on level 3 (3.22) at 14.00 on Monday the 23rd of Nov. All students and staff affected by this temporary suspension of activity will be notified directly and appropriate alternative arrangements will be put in place to ensure continuity of delivery of content”, Nolan concluded.

In a previous email to staff seen by The University Times, Prof Kingston Mills said: “There have now been five cases of COVID-19 in TBSI, three on ground floor and two on 3rd floor.”

“Could I ask everyone to be vigilant re social distancing and wearing masks and when you do take off your mask to have coffee/lunch please strictly adhere to social distancing guidelines.”

The College Health Service and Department of Public Health is managing the outbreak.

The very first coronavirus case in Trinity last March was also discovered in TBSI, prompting a quick move by College to suspend face to face teaching.