Colleges Deny Using NDAs in Sexual Harassment Cases

Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris has said this is inconsistent with a report on the matter by Senator Lynn Ruane.

Seán CahillDeputy News Editor

Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris has been told by all Irish colleges that non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) are not used to deal with complaints of sexual harassment and bullying, after allegations that this regularly occurs in the sector.

However, Harris told the Sunday Independent that the institutions’ responses are not consistent with data collected by independent Senator Lynn Ruane on the issue.

Ruane has said that research that she conducted showed that 30 per cent of victims in the third-level sector were forced to sign NDAs and that this meant that public money was used to silence these victims.

Last year, Ruane introduced legislation to ban the use of NDAs by third-level institutions.

Last October, Harris wrote to the presidents of higher-education institutions to denounce NDAs being used in cases of bullying and sexual harassment and asked each instiution whether they engaged in this practice.

Harris told the Sunday Independent: “I will continue to work with the Higher Education Authority in ensuring victims of sexual harassment and bullying are protected. Any response from our sector must be victim centred.”

“Experiences of sexual violence or harassment have a hugely negative impact on the individual, affecting their overall well-being and academic or professional attainment. They have long-lasting effects”, he said.

Harris said that these problems are not restricted to third-level institutions and that zero-tolerance policies should be implemented.

Last year, Harris conducted a survey asking staff and students whether they have experienced sexual violence or harassment. The survey received over 11,400 responses and its findings will be published early this year. Harris told the Sunday Independent that it will “show the percentage of students in our higher education institutions that have experienced sexual harassment and violence is deeply troubling and worryingly, not surprising”.

The Department of Further and Higher Education will conduct these surveys annually to assess the extent of the problem and to understand the actions needed to mitigate it.

An online learning hub which will provide resources on sexual consent awareness will also be launched early this year. The hub will “provide an integrated, publicly available resource on sexual consent awareness and consent learning resources” will also be made available early this year”, Harris said.