Students Vote to Re-open Nominations for Editor of The University Times

Sole candidate Mairead Maguire has been defeated by an organised RON campaign.

Sarah McCarthy and Maitiú Charleton

Students have voted to re-open nominations (RON) for the role of editor of The University Times, with sole candidate Mairead Maguire failing to win the election.

Some 1,074 voters opted for RON, with Maguire receiving 733 first-preference votes.

Maguire faced competition throughout the election campaign from an organised campaign against her, following allegations of journalistic misconduct published by Trinity News.

Maguire has repeatedly denied the allegations against her, calling them “wholly false and defamatory.” She reiterated this when asked directly about it at the final election hustings at Trinity Halls on Tuesday. She said the issue was “very serious” but added that, “the allegations are completely false and defamatory”.

In a statement to The University Times this evening, Maguire said: “Of course I’m really disappointed with tonight’s result. I just want what’s best for the paper and I believe I’m the most qualified person for the role right now.”

She added: “I ran a clean campaign that I’m proud of. Molly Longstaff, my campaign manager, is a saint. I’m grateful for TCDSU and the other people who supported and advised me during what has been a challenging time.”

This week, following instructions from the Junior Dean, a number of posts on the RON campaign’s Instagram page were archived. In a statement at the time to this newspaper, the RON campaign said: “We archived posts on the JD’s request, and will comply with any investigation necessary.”

In a statement to The University Times at the time, Maguire said: “I am glad that the posts have been taken down. They contained misinformation and were deeply personal. As a student, they were hurtful to read.”

A bye election for the editor role position will now be held. Maguire will be permitted to run again if she wishes.