Harris Announces Scholarships for Climate Action in Third Level Education

The scholarships cover undergraduate students, graduates and apprenticeships to work in sustainable development.

Faye MaddenDeputy News Editor

Minister for Higher Education and Research Simon Harris has announced a new programme in collaboration with Bord na Móna titled Pathways to the Future.

The programme features three pathways into further and higher education that will also see students at the forefront of climate action and sustainable development – a Scholarship Pathway, a Graduate Pathway, and an Apprenticeship Pathway, with applications opening in September 2022.

The Scholarship Pathway will provide scholarships to ten students currently studying an undergraduate, postgraduate, or PhD in third level education across Ireland in an effort to provide financial support to students. The scholarship includes a grant, a work placement opportunity, site visits to Bord na Móna projects and a Bord na Móna assigned mentor.

The Graduate Pathway is a two-year programme accepting 21 graduates that will commence in Autumn 2023. The Pathway aims to “develop and support a new generation of ambitious, creative and future focused professionals” to progress their careers in the areas of sustainability, climate targets, renewable energy and carbon storage.

The Apprenticeship Pathway, in partnership with the Laois and Offaly Education and Training Board (LOETB) and SOLAS, will be available for people seeking qualifications in areas such as transport operations, mechanics, wind turbine maintenance and automation and is offering 30 apprenticeships set to begin in September 2022.

Launching the programme, Harris expressed his desire to “congratulate Bord na Móna” for its leadership in climate action and sustainable development. “This is such an exciting time in the evolution of Bord na Móna to a climate solutions company, which is showing the way in innovations to tackle climate change”, he said.

He added: “I particularly welcome the commitment to employ such a variety of apprentices. We have a commitment to deliver a Government Apprenticeship Recruitment Plan and I would see Bord na Móna’s work feeding into that.”

Harris also emphasised the potential of apprenticeships, saying that “apprenticeships offer valuable employment and training routes which should be part of everyone’s deliberations when they are finishing school or considering other career or re-skilling options.”

In a press statement, Chief Executive of Bord na Móna Tom Donnellan said: “The ‘Pathways to the Future’ programme is a great opportunity for apprentices, graduates and students to get hands-on, valuable experience with Ireland’s leading climate solutions company.”

“This is a unique programme that provides three pathways for those wanting to become part of the solution to climate change”, he continued.

“These programmes aim to encourage a new generation of ambitious, creative and future-focused women and men to develop their careers within a progressive company and to help them inspire change and meet Ireland’s climate goals.”

In the same press release, Bord na Móna head of Human Resources Sharon Doyle said: “Bord na Móna is passionate about helping and supporting people starting their careers. We believe these programmes will provide talent pipelines for the future, with people who are passionate about building a sustainable future for everyone.”

“We look forward to welcoming the latest graduates and apprentices to our teams and embracing their experiences and thoughts on climate solutions in the 21st century”, she added.