Inside Dublin’s First Independent Fashion Weekend

A glimpse into a weekend championing sustainability, Irish designers and artists

Eloise SherrardDeputy Fashion Editor

When I say ‘fashion week’ you likely conjure up images in your mind’s eye of the major fashion capitals, New York, Paris, Milan and London. These cities and their fashion weeks are mesmerising events which showcase breathtaking talent, but on such a huge scale that they hold an energy of unattainability and exclusiveness. I’ve found myself on occasion overwhelmed when observing these fashion weeks, grappling to feel the humanity beneath sharp-faced designers, models and the overall whirlwind of it all. This is why it was music to my ears when news broke that Dublin had decided to play its hand in launching its first-ever fashion weekend: Dublin Independent Fashion Weekend. 

The weekend of October 19th – 21st witnessed the sensational event, which focused on displaying and celebrating Ireland’s sustainable and ethical design. Hosted in Dublin’s bright urban space, the Chocolate Factory was the perfect location to bring together and showcase Ireland’s garments of dreams and the country’s gifted designers. Such designers included Aisling Duffy, Laoise Carey, Rion Hannora, Seeking Judy, Shock of Grey, Mar Knitwear and The Zero Waster. Aside from the clothes and their designers, the sound artist Sloucho, podcaster PJ Kirby and visual artist Aisling Phelan also contributed to further heightening the event’s beauty, turning it into a truly immersive experience.

The Friday night hit off the weekend with a dazzling fashion show, in collaboration with Trinity Fashion Society (FashionSoc). The glamour continued to flow into the Saturday and Sunday which saw two days of pop-up showrooms amidst a stunning immersive experience.

I had the pleasure of attending the event on Saturday afternoon and stepped straight into a buzzing atmosphere of colour, music and beauty. Everywhere I turned was yet another jaw-dropping garment. The design of not only the clothes, but the whole event was dazzling and impressive. Observing designers, artists and patrons mingling and celebrating Ireland’s creativity struck me as heartwarming. This sense of community in Ireland’s fashion scene was further evidenced by how it was a donation-based event in which attendees chose if and how much they wanted to contribute at the door. 

Altogether, Dublin Independent Fashion Weekend magnificently showcased Ireland’s Fashion design talent, championed sustainability, and at its heart did all this with a beautiful sense of national pride and a genuine human touch.