Sally Rooney to Publish Third Novel in September

The Trinity graduate received critical acclaim for her novel Normal People, which was set in the College.

Sárán FogartyNews Editor

Trinity graduate and bestselling author Sally Rooney is to publish her third novel, Beautiful World, Where Are You, on September 7th with Faber House.

In a press statement, Alex Bowler of Faber House said: “Sally’s new novel is a book of friendship and sex, art and faith, power and love.”

Rooney’s previous works Conversations with Friends and Normal People depicted the lives of Trinity students.

Bowler said: “It absorbs you once again in the inner lives of characters with brilliant minds and aching hearts, while marking the next creative leap from a singular writer. The book scintillates with intelligence, empathy and, yes, beauty.”

The novel will be published by Faber and will feature the story of Alice and Eileen, “two best friends nearing their thirties in different places and on very different trajectories”.

“As the summer approaches, they exchange emails about art, friendship, the world around them and the complicated love affairs unfolding in their own lives. They say they want to see each other again soon. But what will happen when they do?”

Rooney’s debut novel, Conversations With Friends, is currently being adapted for television by the BBC. The television adaptation of Normal People, which aired on BBC and RTÉ last year, received critical acclaim, and was filmed on location in Trinity. It was nominated for four Emmy awards, including for Rooney herself for the series’s writing.

The series’s director Lenny Abrahamson, also a Trinity graduate, was nominated for Outstanding Director.

Normal People also received the An Post Irish Novel of the Year 2018 and was longlisted for the Booker Prize.

In 2017, Rooney won the Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year. She has also been published in the New Yorker and the London Review of Books, while one of her short stories featured in last year’s The Art of the Glimpse – a collection of short stories by esteemed Irish writers.

Rooney studied English in Trinity and was elected a Scholar in 2011.