Student Doctors, Nurses, Midwives to be Hired as COVID-19 Vaccinators

The Ireland East Hospital Group has advertised vaccinator positions for students in medicine, nursing or midwifery courses.

Mairead MaguireJunior Editor

Student doctors, nurses and midwives will be hired as paid vaccinators in centres across Ireland as the HSE speeds up the coronavirus vaccination programme.

The Irish Mirror reported today that Ireland East Hospital Group has advertised positions for nurses, midwives and doctors in training to work as vaccinators in their centres.

The hospital group, which is made up of 11 hospitals in eight counties, has advertised paid full-time and part-time positions, with varying contract durations. The group’s vaccination programme will run seven days a week.

The only requirement is that students are currently studying medicine or are in the process of completing a Bachelor of Science in nursing or midwifery.

Vaccinators’ responsibilities include assessing patients’ suitability for vaccination, administering vaccinations, and supervising patients after they receive the vaccine.

Before beginning the job, the students will themselves be vaccinated against coronavirus and will receive full training.

Students hired will work alongside fully qualified healthcare professionals in one of the 18 vaccinations centres, which include Croke Park and the Aviva Stadium, as well as smaller local venues. The starting salary is €35,000 pro-rata.

The Irish Mirror reported that the job advertisement tells students: “You will be responsible for administering or supervising the vaccine to citizens, working within a team of staff in vaccination sites.”

“Employment on the vaccination programme involves working as part of a Vaccination team which comprise a mix of registered professional healthcare workers and newly recruited and trained support workers.”

“The team roles to which you can apply is dependent on your previous work history and skills.”
Applications are now open and University College Dublin, the hospital group’s clinical education partner, has encouraged its students to apply for the positions. Interviews are to be held as soon as possible.

The vaccination centres will be located at Waterford IT, Fairyways Hotel in Louth, Clonmel Park Hotel in Tipperary, Tullamore in Offaly, Cillian Hill Conference Centre in Kilkenny, Portlaoise in Laois, Carlow IT Sports Centre, MVC Athlone IT in Westmeath, Riverside Hotel in Wexford, Drogheda in Louth, Arklow Bay Hotel in Wicklow, Longford, the Aviva Stadium, The Helix in Dublin, Shoreline in Wicklow, Croke Park GAA Club, Bloomfield House in Westmeath and Simonstown GAA in Meath.