Acceptable in the eighties

A couple of years ago, as I was going about my routine rummage through my mothers closet (do not underestimate parental style – parents, believe it or not, were, at some distant point in the past, bright, young, fashion-loving things too) I stumbled across an absolute gem. It was a black, fur cardigan with perhaps the most enormous shoulders I’d ever seen. The thought of wearing it out terrified me, people my age were wearing parachute pants, not shoulder pads, yet something about the soft touch and the huge proportions drew me in. I was thirteen.

This Autumn I finally worked up the courage to fulfill that childhood fantasy. Yes, I wore the cardigan. At first I was apprehensive, worrying what people would think. Just because I’d gaped in awe at the cast of ‘Saved By The Bell’ sporting gargantuan shoulder pads, didn’t mean that I could do it. AC Slater was a lot cooler than I could ever be. I wasn’t even in a TV show, I was just strolling through the city centre. Whether the blood, red lipstick, big shoulders and fur combined to make me look like a tacky freak show from the past or whether people were just astounded by my audacity, I guess I’ll never know. One thing struck me however. With every step I took heads were turning, and that gave me the confidence I’d been struggling to find before I left my house.

Perhaps it is a desperate endeavour to brighten up this ashen, gloomy haze deposited by our best friend and favourite topic of conversation – ‘The Recession’. Maybe it is that history is simply repeating itself. In either case, 80s style, in all its gaudy glory, is being revived this season.

No longer confined to TV shows of the past, vintage stores and dare I say it, the abandoned depths of our parents closets, from the runway to the high street, the outlandishly huge shoulders, the skin-tight lycra leggings and the skyscraper stilettos are to be found almost everywhere.

One of the most notable shifts in silhouette this season is the new emphasis on shoulders. Soaring horizontally and vertically, shoulders are being exaggerated to the max with massive shoulder pads and puffs. Balmain and Stella McCartney showed us how to keep it simple yet sexy with a well tailored suit jackets worn with draped t-shirts and skinny jeans, while Dolce and Gabbana were a little more daring, sending their models down the runway in huge-shouldered, neon furs.

If you’re feeling creative try inserting shoulder pads into something you already own. Cinch a bulky dress in with a belt, or pair a jacket with tight jeans or a tight dress,  and the contrast instantly gives the illusion of a tiny waist – what’s not to love?

The 80s were a kaleidescope of colour. People were creative and fearless then. They weren’t afraid of taking chances, being different, having fun. Think American Apparel- bright, loud and recently opened across the road from Trinity, could we possibly ask for more? Keep it simple by matching a statement neon coat or top with basic blacks as seen in Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors and Gucci, or if you’re feeling confident, take a tip from Ashish and try layering bright colours, clashing prints and shiny fabrics.

Pop some bright, electric hues into your outfit, not only will it help you fight those recessionary blues, but it’s a great way of channelling your inner 80’s child too.

Shimmering sequins have made a comeback as well, though this time round they’ve been given a slightly more sophisticated twist. Tailored jackets and figure-fitting dresses in muted tones such as teal, dark silver and black reigned at Gucci. On the high street Topshop have, as usual, gotten it perfectly right with their slinky, sequined dresses, blazers and leggings. Sequins are perhaps one of the easiest ways to dress up. Forget about jewellery to embellish your look – a dazzling dress and towering stilettos will be plenty to turn heads and drop jaws this Autumn.

Alternatively, try going metallic. From gold to purple, sweet-heart neckline to one-shoulder, 80’s inspired cocktail dresses are guaranteed to get you noticed this season. Go all out 80’s glam by teaming your dress with some statement lip colour and big hair, or update this party look by pairing it with your favourite boyfriend blazer or this seasons must-have leather biker jacket.

So before you say ‘NO’ to the mouth-watering hues of American Apparel, before you decide that shimmering in sequins is just down right tacky and before you discard  shoulder pads as something only Kelly Kapowski should wear, perhaps you should listen to the fashion fantasies of your inner thirteen year old. This trend may appear to only be for the intrepid and self-assured, but I promise you, I was feeling neither before I crawled out in my garish fur cardigan. You may have been too young to experience it properly the first time round, but you certainly aren’t too old to give it a bash now!

View the University Times fashion shoot