Exhibition bubbling with excitement

Trinity’s Naughton Institute, the world’s first Science Gallery, has for its current exhibition an incredible exploration of the physics of foams and bubbles, made accessible by laser shows, ethereal music and interactive delights. BUBBLE has been developed in collaboration with leading physicists Denis Weaire and Stefan Hutzler of Trinity’s own Physics department.

The exhibition, which opened at the end of July, saw 3,000 visitors in its first five days, drawing crowds with such unusual installments as “10,000 Peacock Feathers in Foaming Acid”, an art project by Evelina Domnitch and Dmitry Gelfand. Based on the refraction of light through the structure of a bubble film, the circular chamber is bathed in the light of a trio of powerful lasers shot through a multitude of bubbles, perpetually popping and being re-blown.

A particularly interesting experiment is “Soaper-Sonic”, conducted by a quartet of Trinity’s own  physicists. The concept is fantastic – images of a bubble lit from below by white light are transmitted live to a computer, which translates colours refracted through the bubble into one of four sounds. Depending on the strength and quantity of each colour, the computer software creates a haunting symphony which is caused by liquid draining from the top of the bubble to the bottom. 
Throughout the gallery, staff describe and explain the experiments as they take place, their constant enthusiasm indicative of the enjoyment of playing with bubbles all day… Downstairs, stare with wonder at enormous floating bubbles; learn how to make square bubbles; and even be enclosed in a bubble large enough to consume an adult human.

Previous exhibitions include “Infectious”, a study of mechanisms of contagion and strategies of containment (attended by over 47,000 people in three months); “Metropolis”, a novel insight into the science and psychology of a crowd; and their flagship annual festival “Lightwave”, a celebration of all things related to light itself (including the ‘panoply’ – a foil dome plastered on the inside with LED lights, which are manipulated and manoeuvred with a Wii remote inside a plastic sphere. The bizarre psychedelic igloo is only augmented by the large buddha bags inside).

If the novelty of the Gallery’s continuingly inventive exhibitions ever wear off, enjoy an excellent cup of coffee; a reasonably priced meal; and a bottle of cool, crisp Italian beer. One thing you can be sure of – you’ll be hard pushed to find a watering-hole with the chic surroundings and endless amusement of the unsurpassable Science Gallery.

BUBBLE runs until September 25th, so be sure to get in (wait for it…) before it bursts!