Movies with SciFi

The name Science Fiction Society is not one that tends to have new members stampeding towards the stand during Freshers Week.  For most, it conjures images of the pimpled outcast of every American high school drama, rolling dodecahedron die to character charts and bargaining for Star Wars trading cards. That’s not Scifi Soc (although if the image appeals to you, check out the Gaming Society—they know how to party).

If college societies are about getting you out of your tiny student rooms and meeting people, then Scifi Society is the paragon of all college societies. With over 1,000 memberships in Freshers Week last year, it flourishes as one of the Trinity’s largest societies. Unlike other large societies like the Hist and the Phil where the society agenda seems to be the boring bit to get through before you can socialize, in Scii the members are the agenda, hosting more events throughout the year than any other society. These include weekly showings of new release movies in lecture theatres around campus, video game tournaments, campus-wide assassin game, Friday movie marathons, laser tag, pub crawls/quizzes, drinks receptions and nights out.

Over the past few years Scifi has developed the reputation of being the night out with a sense of humour, bringing the student body such traditions as the Halloween Massacre Ball and Father Ted Night.  As well, Scifi routinely raises more for RAG Week through its various events (such as the Assassin Tournament and Iron Stomach) than any other society on campus, giving over 1000 euro last year.  In essence, Scifi is the society that you will go to even after the Freshers Week euphoria wears off.