The sneeze that echoed around the world

As colleges and schools across the country reopen, the efforts to control swine flu – or ‘Pandemic (H1N1)’ as it is now officially reclassified as – will be put into action. With guidelines and precautions set out by the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Government and college bodies are preparing to handle the coming months with campaigns and services to ensure the academic year remains unperturbed by the outbreak.

History
The WHO released its first update on  ‘Swine Influenza A/H1N1′ near the end of April, detailing initial outbreaks in the United States and Mexico. Within a fortnight 25 countries had reported a total of 2500 cases of the virus, and this continued to rise as the Summer wore on. Following the SARS pandemic of 2002 as well as the outbreak of H5N1 bird flu, this new influenza strain caused panic when it was first discovered, and produced mass media coverage and constant updates on the status of cases across the globe.

The most seriously affected region was Mexico, where the virus originated. Echoing the situation in Asia amidst the SARS pandemic, a state of emergency was announced at the height of the outbreak; businesses were closed and schools, public institutions and anything involving large crowds were halted. Police and military bodies distributed facial masks to the general public while quarantine zones were established at high-risk areas. The economy suffered and there were more than 13,500 cases and 125 deaths in the country in total.

Despite a decline of cases in several countries and the increasing availability of vaccination, the WHO has warned tropical countries as well as those in the northern hemisphere to prepare for a ‘second wave’ of pandemic spread.

The panic of this virus has also left many people looking towards the future – both short-term and long-term. For the short-term future, how will those infected isolate so they don’t infect others? How long will it go on for? Will it get worse before it can get better? And for the long-term future, how can we prevent something like this happening again? How can we use a pandemic house design to allow infected and healthy people to co-exist? Are there plans for rolling out vaccines for the general public?

Characteristics
Anne Schuchat, Assistant Surgeon General of the United States Public Health Service, described the virus as having “an unusually mongrelised mix of genetic sequences”. It has been discovered that this new H1N1 strain has a mix of genetic data originating from influenzas pertaining to North American swine, Eurasian swine, bird and humans.

Infection is similar to cold and other flu-like viruses. The virus is present in droplets released by humans when coughing and sneezing and can survive relatively long outside of a host body. On hard surfaces (tables, door handles, etc.) it can survive for 24 hours, while on soft surfaces (human skin) it survives for approx. 20 minutes.

While exhibiting flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, headache, muscle and joint pain, sore throat and runny nose, and sometimes vomiting and diarrhoea), what was most concerning for officials were certain peculiarities distinguishing it from the normal flu.

This new virus has never circulated among humans before, though evidence suggests that older generations have increased immunity due to contact with previous H1N1 cases. Whereas normal, seasonal flu is most common in the very young and the very old, the majority of H1N1 cases are among young adults.
In line with seasonal influenza, the H1N1 variant has caused deaths in the most extreme cases, whereby patients usually have underlying health conditions such as lung disease, asthma, diabetes and those with compromised immune systems. Others at risk are young children, the elderly and pregnant womem. However, most cases only suffer mild infection, and at present hospitalisation is only reserved for serious cases.

Prevention and Treatment
According to the guidelines set out by the WHO, avoiding close contact with those showing flu-like symptoms should help avoid infection. Other recommended advice includes; using alcohol/antibacterial soap to wash hands, reducing time spent in crowds, avoiding excessive touching of mouth and nose with hands and allowing fresh air to circulate indoors.

If you do start exhibiting flu-like symptoms, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has released guidelines to ensure recovery and limit the chance of further infection to others. They advise phoning the Flu Information Line and consulting your GP if the symptoms are severe. If you do in fact become ill with the Pandemic (H1N1) virus, stay at home for seven days to avoid infectng others. Always cover your nose when sneezing, coughing, blowing your nose, etc. and maintain good personal hygiene. Clean household surfaces frequently and take anti-fever medication if necessary. If symptoms persist for a long time or if your condition worsens, contact your GP or any of the number of helplines available by telephone.

Ireland
As of the 6th September, 723 cases of Pandemic (H1N1) were reported in Ireland with 2 deaths so far. Although the spread of the virus has not been as exponential here as in other countries, the government still warns of the potential dangers of the virus, especially with the prospect of a ‘second wave’. The HSE are preparing to distribute a vaccine which will be available next month. The vaccine has had prior testing in the UK and the results show that one vaccine may be enough to successfully prevent infection. Though the vaccine is in the country already, the HSE has stated that it is ‘not yet in its possession’. Speaking at an information session regarding the virus, Dr. David McGrath, director of Trinity’s Health Services, stated that the reason behind the delay was due to licensing problems.

However, controversy has already surrounded the vaccine due to one of its chemical components. Thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative, has been used in vaccines since the 1930s. Since then it has been shrouded in stigma as cases of autism have been linked to the preservative. While many people believe this, scientific consensus rejects this rationale. The CDC states in an FAQ regarding Thimerosal that “there is no convincing evidence of harm [to children] caused by the small amount of thimerosal in vaccines”. A further study of vaccination in pregnant women “demonstrated no adverse fetal effects”.

Trinity
Trinity College has implemented various contingencies in light of the Pandemic (H1N1). Tony McMahon, the Interim Chief Operating Officer, is chairing a specialist Pandemic Planning Group, along with various other representatives within the college to help combat any setbacks encountered.

Their main aims are to prevent infection spreading, implement treatment, continue learning and teaching, limit detrimental effects on core business and the reputation of the College and to establish a comprehensive communication plan about the issue. They have launched precautionary measures to prevent the spreading of the infection – such as disinfectant dispensers around the college, purchasing masks and providing information on relevant hygiene.

In terms of keeping a communicative system with the student body, staff and visitors, the College has launched a website dedicated to news, advice, and podcasts concerning the pandemic on campus. As well as this, there is a special helpline available, with staff being specifically trained to handle issues concerning the virus.