In Style: Abbreviations and Symbols

What follows is an extract from the University Times Manual of Style, compiled by editor Robert Donohoe.

Abbreviations fall into three categories: only the first is technically an abbreviation, though the term loosely covers the three and the guidelines of their use overlap.

• Abbreviations are formed by omitting the end of a word or words (VCR, Lieut.);
  • Contractions are formed by omitting the middle of a word or words (I’ve, Shan’t);
  • Acronyms are formed by using the initial letters of words (Nazi, radar) which in turn form words themselves.

General principles
Abbreviations and symbols may be used in some circumstances:

• where space is scarce;
  • where the abbreviation is so well known it would be foolish to spell it out (USA, TV, UN);
  • where the word or words are repeated so often it is easier for the reader to absorb.

Abbreviations should be spelled out at first mention in copy followed by the abbreviation in parentheses: European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). If the abbreviation is familiar with the intended audience it need not be spelled out.

Where it is possible to refer to a previously mentioned full name by a more readable shortened form that is preferable: the Commission rather than the OC for the Oversight Commission.

Contractions
Place an apostrophe in the position corresponding to the missing letter or letters (I’m, ha’penny)

Avoid use of common verbal contractions (I’m, can’t, won’t). There are no apostrophes in colloquial abbreviations: bike, demo, flu or plane.

Acronyms
An acronym is distinguished from other abbreviated forms by being a series of letters or syllables pronounced as a complete word: Nato and Uefa are acronyms, but MI6 and RTÉ are not.

Symbols
Do not start a sentence with a symbol: spell out the word or recast the sentence to avoid it: Sixteen dollars was the price, The price was $16.

The indefinite article with abbreviations
The choice between a and an before an abbreviation depends on the pronunciation, not the spelling.

A BA degree
A U-boat captain
A Unicef card
An IOU
An MA
An MP

Possessives and plurals
Abbreviations form the possessive in the usual way, with -’s: CEO’s salary, VIPs’ entrance. Most abbreviations form the plural by adding -s: DJs, SOSs. When an abbreviation has more than one full point then the -s is put after the final one: Ph.D.s, M.Phil.s, the d.t.s. When it has one full point put it before the full point: eds., nos. Some abbreviations have irregular plurals: Messrs., Mmes

e.g., i.e., e

tc.

Prefer

‘for example’ and ‘that is’ in running text.

Print the abbreviation ‘etc.’ in lower-case roman type with a full point. It is preceded by a comma if it follows more than one listed item: sparrows, finches, etc., sparrows etc. The point can be followed by a comma or other point but not another full point to avoid double punctuation.