“Relax yourself girl, please settle down.”

Originally designed as something to do on a Saturday, Electric Relaxation has become an immediate success. Held in the Bernard Shaw from 3pm onwards, this hit event, known among its regulars as “El-Rel”, involves live music and comedy, art displays, delectable cheese toasties and an indisputably chilled vibe as banter, tunes and lols fill the venue up to the brim.

Electric Relaxation is an extension of Pondrbox, a videoing and events group run by Niall Morahan and Anna Cosgrave. These two whippersnappers, second year Trinity students, have in the last year founded and developed their own business, making quite a name for themselves in the Dublin events scene in the process. Despite Anna also holding the position of Vice President in the Phil this year, a rather demanding post, close friends of the pair have said they work very well together and are “destined to go far”. They can often be spotted plotting their next adventure around Trinity Arts block, armed with laptops, cameras and an abundance of ambition.      

Saturday the 6th of March saw the third Electric Relaxation kick-off with a smashing line-up of DJs, many of which were Trinity students. We were treated to the talents of resident DJs Ronan Hayes and Stevie McDermott as well as guest DJs Alan Taylor and Frank Grimes, every set going down deliciously well as it was pumped into the outside smoking area where heads were bopping and mouths were munching in time to the beats. Inside, the atmosphere peaked during live performances by Dave O Carroll who electrified the early arrivals with electronic music, Nick Fitzgerald who relaxed the crowd with his voice and guitar, his songs leaving a smile on everyone’s face and last but certainly not least Giraffes. This jazz – pop band’s members are no strangers to the stage. Having performed at last year’s Trinity Ball under the name Jools King, their confidence and comfort on stage left the Electric Relaxers assured that they were in for a treat. Despite arriving an hour late, the divas, they wowed the crowd with their astounding range of talent, Front-men Danny Forde and Pats O Leary sharing the mic, the piano and the guitar while Oli Welfare kept things up-beat on drums. The set was short and sweet, inspiring a few girls to really go for it on a make-shift dance floor (basically the stage) while the rest of the bar packed out with eager listeners. The trio can often be heard and seen at various Trinity musical events, mostly with the Jazz Society or Players.  The Bus outside the smoking area also hosted a cluster of comedy acts including the charming Conor O’Toole, resident act Street Justice and Heber Hanly who sent the bus rocking with laughter.

While all the acts were busy entertaining the Electric Relaxers’ ears, their mouths were concerned with the hot, fresh cheese toasties, (with or without relish, but obviously with) and the scrumptious baked treats of the lovely Lexie Hamblin who regaled customers with her charming tale of her quest to climb mount Kilimanjaro while slicing them a chunk of Victoria Sponge cake, or tossing them a cookie, brownie or cupcake, the proceeds of which were going towards the charity funding the climb. With treats in hand, one could then take a trip to the make-shift art gallery and allow their eyes to absorb the walls of colourful talent. Photography by Lucy Nuzum, Matthew Kelly,  and Heber Hanly and Artwork by Holly Christine Ingram, Sinead McLoughlin, Kate Dalton and Caoimhe Leville was not only beautiful decor for the event but left many people gazing and dripping toasty and cake crumbs in awe.

The atmosphere, admittedly aided by the endless stream of pitchers and cocktails, didn’t cease when the event’s finish time of 9pm came as the Bernard Shaw regulars joined the day-goers. The event leaves everyone on a high as, while they might not have been doing essays or studying, at least they were doing something fun with their procrastination rather than spending hours on Facebook. Also, who’s going to turn down a day of free entertainment spent with old friends, new friends and everyone else’s friends with the option of an afternoon cocktail? The event’s success is evident in the numbers guests attending and the fact that one leaves the Bernard Shaw wondering why nobody had thought of a Saturday afternoon event before. Despite the organisation and work to get something like this together, all the artists and even Anna and Niall themselves could be seen bopping around enjoying the stress-free buzz of the day.  When asked how they felt about the event, Niall silenced Anna and simply pointed me towards the ‘A Tribe Called Quest’ hip-hop classic ‘Electric Relaxation. “Relax yourself girl, please settle down.” Make of this what you will.