Yeasayer – Odd Blood

Yeasayer; history repeats itself in the new era of grooving, or grooving back, to North America, this time from Brooklyn! Critics have called them hippies and they refuse to accept it as Cold War Kids shoot electric waves and have them in ‘Madder Red’, or was it ‘Mondegreen’? Synthesizing and reverberating, intonating the sounds of nature made into music.

Yeasayer are the result of electro-psychedelic-folk DNA. This band is easy to listen to when the Back to the Future movie has lost its impact and the public want to regain consciousness of their past. 

The charismatic and neutrally soft tones caress your ears like a muse that’s going to ‘Wait For The Summer’. Their music can make you dream or move rhythmically out of your bed after a strong hang-over. Sometimes I wonder how to approach a comment in music that is so familiar to your senses, but yet claims its place in the 21st century? Narration of the soul’s journeys, jungle-like ambience and birds tweeting to the rhythm of butterfly wings flying on top of the ‘Ambling Alp’, clearly marks Odd Blood, as well as its predecessor All Hour Cymbals, as having the spirit’s right to convey a message to mother nature demanding to be nurtured at ‘Sunrise’.

If they had been around in the 70s they would definitely have been playing in Woodstock; competing with Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, trying to imitate a bit of Blind Faith and most likely failing to become Pink Floyd.

‘O.N.E.’ is an electric-disco like song that could be played in a National Geographic commercial. They are truly a documentary of music decades and music retrospection fighting for their nonexistence. Yeasayer have ‘No Need To Worry’ because ‘Lablogoteque’ obtained an undisclosed self-agreement that has given them the right to let go of inhibitions and set them free to float their airy musical notes that honourably win them a place in the universe.

Since releasing Odd Blood, Yeasayer have embarked on an extensive European tour, including a gig in Dublin on February 19th at the Academy. Once they’ve covered Europe they’re set to hit America in April, including appearing at Coachella Festival.