The General Election for Dummies

by Peter Twomey, Web Editor

The General Election is mere weeks away and with the economy in turmoil this could potentially be the most important election Ireland has ever seen. Many, however, find politics too difficult to merely glance at and form an opinion on which party to pledge allegiance and vote for. To alleviate this problem, here is a (very) simple break down of the three main contenders:

1. Fianna Fáil

The Leader: Micheal Martin.

Slogan: Real plan, better future.

The Plan: From their official website: ‘We face a choice between Fianna Fáil’s commitment to tackle our problems head-on, or of going the road of cynical politics as usual offered by Fine Gael and Labour.’

Although as of yet no specifics have been given, the site simply states ‘We will be launching our plan in the coming days.’

History in government: Fianna Fáil have been in power for the past 13 years and have overseen Ireland’s demise from one of the wealthiest countries in the world to one where bankruptcy seems quite likely in the coming years.

Pros: New leader may invigorate a party that has lost considerable public support.

Cons: They haven’t been able to fix the economic problems that began in 2008 and led to the IMF bail-out late last year, what has changed now?

2. Labour:

The leader: Eamon Gilmore

Slogan: One Ireland, jobs, reform and fairness.

The Plan: From their official website: ‘To safeguard Ireland’s future economic and employment growth Labour’s believes it is essential to:

• Re-negotiate the EU/IMF deal, extending its terms by a year to 2016
  • Make savings in public spending and eliminate waste
  • Introduce a fair tax system’

History in government: Labour have never won a majority, but have been part of coalitions with Fine Gael six times and Fianna Fáil once. During their last stint in power, as the minority in a Rainbow Coalition that included Fine Gael, they succeeded in becoming the first government to hand over a surplus to the incoming administration.

Pros: Seem to be the most likely and willing of these 3 parties to try and renegotiate a better deal with the IMF.

Cons: They vest less importance in industry and commerce than Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael, which is arguably the most integral part in reinvigorating a faltering economy.

3. Fine Gael

Leader: Enda Kenny

Slogan: Let’s get Ireland working.

The Plan:

• An increase of 20,000 jobs per annum,
  • Lowering of employers’ PRSI and adjustment of the welfare system to encourage job creation,
  • Reducing the cost of the Public Sector by 10% over the next four years, saving €5bn by eliminating waste and abolishing 145 quangos.

History in Government: Like Labour, Fine Gael have never been in government on their own. They were the majority party in the aforementioned Rainbow Coalition from 1994 to 1997 that became the first government to hand over a surplus to the incoming administration.

Pros: Michael Noonan’s fiscal policies seem to be the most sound of all the parties with a strong emphasis on enterprise.

Cons: Enda Kenny is seen as a weak-link as leader and fails to inspire voters.