Europe’s response to the ‘Arab revolutions’ – Focus on Tunisia

Philip Engels

Tunisia, Egypt and now Libya are all part of a new wave of revolutions in the Arab world. Triggered by an ever-growing youth bulge, high unemployment rates and unfavorable economic conditions they have brought an end to long-standing dictatorial regimes. More importantly, they helped to spread an essential value that Europeans call their own: democracy – but how did Europe react to this development? In this article, I will focus on the case of Tunisia.

France’s Foreign Minister: Michelle Alliot-Marie was the first to respond to the crisis in Tunisia. In a brief speech in the French parliament she expressed her concern – not so much about Ben Ali and his entourage, but rather about the overall instability of the country. She even suggested that specialized forces should be sent in order to establish order in the capital, Tunis. Evidently, her speech was not well received by the Tunisian demonstrators who after 24 years were finally succeeding in freeing themselves from political opression.

A few weeks later, once the Jasmine Revolution had become ‘something of the past’, once people returned to their daily routine and the remnants of the ‘Sept Novembre’ regime were cleared from street and TV-channel names, Sarkozy appointed a new ambassador in Tunis – hoping to give the Franco-Tunisian friendship a new and fresh start. Against all expectations, however, the new French ambassador turned out to be a big deception. Pictures in which he is shown shirtless and scandalous interviews (that spread through the internet) all became a proof of Borris Bouillon’s incompetence and undiplomatic behaviour. Essentially, this harmed France’s image in the country while infuriating the Tunisian media as well the hundreds of Tunisians demanding Bouillon’s resignation outside of the majestic French embassy in la Marsa.

Other reactions to the recent developments in Tunisia include Catherine Ashton’s speech in which she emphasized the need for dialogue in order to ensure a peaceful transition to democracy in Tunisia; but the latter lacked both the attention of the Tunisian people and the enthusiasm expressed by other leaders such as Obama or even the Foreign Minister of Qatar.

The involvement of both France and the European Foreign Ministry in this revolution can therefore not be considered minimal or insignificant. Having spoken to my close Tunisian friends (studying in Paris or in Tunis) made me realize that the consequence thereof is a feeling of disillusion and anger. For years now, Europe has advocated the values of democracy and human rights – and yet, in a situation like this, little or nothing has been done.

Whether it is for economic, political or even cultural reasons (the fear of a radical Islamic awakening), Europe has failed to play a role in this crucial development. What does this mean for us Europeans? More should be done to understand Tunisia and the Arab world: their complex societies, their dynamic middle classes, the largely overstated role of religion and their economic development. How will this be rewarded? A better-informed, more effective and united European Foreign Service, a more meaningful relationship with our greatest neighbor, more control over trans-Mediterranean migration, vital economic ties in this time of crisis and finally a vital exchange of values which both Europe and the Arab world are in great need of. Through more interaction with the Arab peoples, Europeans can also rediscover their own identity and it seems that it is here that E.U. institutions could play a crucial role.

Note: It seems to me that EU member states such as Greece, Cyprus and Malta (that have acquired good and long historic ties with the Arab and Persian world) should be given more attention within and outside of the Europe Foreign Service.

This map illustrates the proximity of the EU (dark blue) to the countries that are currently experiencing political turmoil (light green). The countries colored in green are all part of the EU’s Neighborhood Policy