Massive delays expected with student grants

Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn signs pre-election pledge to fight against reductions in student grants.

Ronan Costello – Editor

The Union of Students in Ireland has warned students to apply early for their grant in order to avoid the massive delays which have occurred in the grant system in previous years.
A huge increase in the number of students returning to education is expected, as the recession forces people to re-train themselves. As a result, USI expects the grant system to be under more strain than in previous years. In recent years, some students have reported waiting until after Christmas to receive their grant, which they need to pay for the registration fee.
The grant system came under assault last year with cuts of up to 60% made by the government under the harsh austerity measures. USI has said that it will continue to campaign to reverse these cuts.
USI President, Gary Redmond said that, “Last year, many students waited up to six months into the academic year for their first grant instalment. In the aftermath of this, USI is urging all current and new students to submit their maintenance grant application as soon as possible.”
Redmond says that by applying for their grant now, students are allowing additional time to ensure that any issues with their applications can be resolved in time for them to receive their grant at the start of term.
“Students who find themselves in different circumstances, such as parents losing their jobs or suffering a reduction in income, should also complete a grant application to have their new circumstances assessed in good time,” said Redmond. “September can be a hugely expensive time for many students with upfront costs such as accommodation deposits, books and transport to name a few. It is very important that families complete their forms now to ensure that their grant payment arrives in good time to help meet
these costs.”
TCDSU’s new President, Ryan Bartlett, said, “TCDSU is working on improving the grant system so that students will get their grants on time and won’t have to suffer the delays they’ve been experiencing in previous years. Hopefully if students apply early this year, they can avoid such delays.”

As part of the student grant scheme 2011, all information and forms are available on www.studentfinance.ie