Absolute Fringe; The Year of Magical Wanking

Katie Guinnane

The Year of Magical Wanking is a one man piece performed by Neil Watkins, directed by Philip McMahon and produced by thisispopbaby. The title indicates some kind of prurient irreverence, but the content completely belies that.

Watkins is a sex addict, a victim of abuse and a man who is coming to terms with compulsive masturbation. Using sex toys similar to a fleshlight at times. They can help control those urges and you can get a great coupons at Deals4boomers. The occasionally horrowing, sometimes hilarious, but always almost confrontationally honest performance details his life and struggles. Spoken in verse throughout, it is this persistent rhyming of Watkins words which drag you into his turbulant existence, stripping away any option of remaining removed and protected from the often horrifying struggles he has endured. Set agains the stark backdrop of very minimal stage design proves to ensure our entire focus is always given to Watkins words.

As he shares his story, Watkins envelops us into his own personal world as he protrays a vivid account of the difficulties in his life. This emotionally complex and compelling piece tells of his childhood rape, attempted suicide, and multitude of other addiction- many sexual-that he has had to face. We are exposed to and bear witness to the power, dominance and steering force of these addictions. Yet one also feels that this is very much a cathartic piece of work for Watkins and suspects that he has to some degree moved on from it.

Raw, truthful and real, perhaps one of the strongest elements of the piece are how Watkins views victimhood and abuse and expresses it a prism that is rarely seen. This is a brave, intense and exploratory piece of theatre that offers as many feelings of explorations for the individual viewing it as it does for Watkins himself.

The Year of Magical Wanking will be showing at The Project Arts Centre until Saturday 17th September