Ireland v Russia – LIVE!

IRELAND v RUSSIA LIVE UPDATES

Emma Tobin

Senior Staff Writer

Press F5 to manually refresh.

05:45 It’s too early. I haven’t even recovered from Freshers’ Week yet. But the Lads are worth it.

06:00 Kick off. Have I mentioned it’s far too early to be witty?

06:06 Six minutes in and O’Gara has slotted over the first penalty of the match.

06:07 Yellow card against Rackov for a professional fowl.

06:09 First Try for Fergus McFadden off a scrum. O’Gara gets the conversion. At least there’s one kicker in this Tounament who seems able to handle the new ball. 11 min in, 0-10

06:13 Sean O’Brien goes over for try number two. The Russian Defense doesn’t know what to make of him at all. O’Gara converts. 0-17

0617: Conditions have improved significantly. It no longer looks like a mid December match in Raven Hill. But the ball is greasy and so is the pitch. We’ll be seeing handling errors it seems. Russia being decimated in the set piece.

06:22 Russians showing some positive play after a break into the 22.  But pushed back after some shameful scrumming

06:28 Trimble failed to collect O’Gara’s cross field kick. Instead it was taken by *insert Russian name I can’t pronounce or spell here*, who broke up field. O’Callaghan takes him down with a devastating tackle.

06:34 Ireland is finally back on the offensive after 10 minutes of Russian possession.

06:35 A pick and go try, confirmed by the TV ref. Boss was the definition of a Rugby nerd, tipping the ball off the edge of the post’s padding. Which counts as a try apparently. YAY rule loop holes! 0-24

06:38 Earls goes over straight off the restart for Ireland’fourth try after a break down the touch line with Trimble. BONUS POINT. 0-31

06:40 Ball is fumbled and kicked over the line, and touched down by Trimble for try number 5. Conversion hits off the post. Sorry Rodge, looks like your fallible too. 0-36 at HT

HALF-TIME: So the referring is bizarre. Touch Judges ignoring obvious obstructions by the  Russians. Ireland on the other hand is being pinged at the first hint of an infringement. Ref didn’t award an obvious yellow card against Russian as a “game decision”. Sorry, what?

07:02 Kidney needs to start making changes. Soon. I do not want any of the choice players injured/worn out because of a minnows match. Russian’s get put into the scrum midfield after Irish forward pass.

07:04 and the subsitions have begun Leamy on, O’Callaghan off.

07:07 Earls sliced through the defense with a kick and step, avoiding a serious tackle. First try off the second half. Converted. 0-43

07:07 Mike Ross on for Cian Healy. Irish concentration is a bit gone. Not again lads, you’ve done this before… Do not let them score…

07: 10 And former Blackrock, and Ireland living Artemyev goes over for Russia’s first try of the game.  Converted. 7-43.

07:11 Kearney down due to knee injury. Serious worries. He had an ACL reconstruction recently and cut it close in terms of recovery rejoining the squad. Seems to be ok for now though.

07:18 O’Brien off Jennings on.

07:19 Russian Simplikevich runs from an offload from the tackle and goes over for the second Russian try of the game. 12-43

07:21 Leamy makes a wonderful break but failed to offload. Penalty awarded and looks like were going for a scrum.

07:23 Serious Try opportunity lost to an interception. Damn.

07:29 Kearney goes over for a gifted, but fantastically put together try. Converted. Rodge is now Ireland’s number one point scorer ever in a RWC. Gone straight off, subbed for Sexton the moment the ball went over. 12-50

07:34 Shane Jennings goes over after a pick and go for first first try in green. 12-57

07:38 Tony Buckley thunders his way over the line, all 21stone of him. More than makes up for his numerous penalties I reckon. Sexton fails to convert, 12-62

07:40 Final whistle gone. Final score 12-62. George Hook is giving out as usual. Be happy George. The underdog mentality was no more.

FULL TIME: So, we have no injuries, despite several worries. The set piece looked solid. The center combo was not a disaster, and McFadden appeared at home on the wing. The second string players stepped up. But the Russians are some of the lowest ranked in the RWC and have played 3 games in 11 days. We probably should have a bigger score margin. Maybe?

All this can be discussed later. Right now be happy. And it’s time to go back to bed.