Provost to speak at Electric Picnic, Trinity Orchestra play Daft Punk on main stage

Dr Patrick Prendergast, Trinity's new Provost, is to speak at Electric Picnic.

Ronan Costello
Editor

Trinity’s new Provost, Dr Patrick Prendergast will give a five minute speech tomorrow at Electric Picnic. Dr Prendergast is scheduled to speak at 3pm tomorrow as part of a group of guest speakers organised by the Science Gallery, which is running events on Saturday and Sunday in the Ignition tent, in the Mindfield part of the festival arena.

Dr Prendergast and the other guest speakers will present slideshows, with fifteen seconds to explain each slide in their five minute time slot. Dr Prendergast is expected to speak about life in Trinity College. Senior law lecturer Eoin O’Dell will be giving a talk on “Infamous Music Copyright Disputes: Plagiarism, Sampling, Fair Use”.

While the Provost will only have five minutes to impress the Electric Picnic audience, and only a small stage on which to perform, Trinity Orchestra have been given main stage prominence. Following the success of their Daft Punk gigs in the Exam Hall and subsequent shows at the Forbidden Fruit festival and the Ten Days in Dublin festival, composer Rob Farhat was asked to bring Trinity Orchestra to Electric Picnic. The orchestra are scheduled to play a forty five minute slot, starting at 12.30pm on Saturday.

Speaking about the privilege of playing the festival, composer and conductor Rob Farhat said “We were shocked and delighted to be asked not just to play Ireland’s best festival, but to open the main stage where the likes of Arcade Fire and The Chemical Brothers will later play. I’m delighted for all the society’s members it’s the culmination of all the hard work and success of last year.”