Bitches With Wolves – “Dark, Hard, Future Disco”

Pia Stromme

Staff Writer

He’s got a catchy voice, funky dance moves and a colourful wardrobe. It’s James O’Neill from Bitches With Wolves.

It all started as a con to a club promoter, yet today he is a well know artist all over the country. Within two years James has worked his way up from playing open mics, to perform at some of the biggest festivals in Ireland.

James tells us how it all began, “Myself and my friends were at a party in London and this dude asked us if we were in a band. I said we were in a group called Bitches With Wolves and that we were big in Stockholm. I told him we had an EP called Red Lipstick Massacre Part Deux. He bought the whole thing and booked us for a gig. The next day my mates backed out, but I saw it as a too good an opportunity to turn down. The rest is history”. James says and smiles.

But James had to work hard to get where he is today, “ When I first started I found it hard to get people to take me seriously, as here was this chap parading around the stage in all sorts of gear, dancing to what is essentially and proudly pop music”.

James says there is no doubt that the music industry is a tough one. “You constantly experience knocks and it’s easy to give up”. His music is described as dark, hard, future disco, a little bit of everything. He says he draws a lot of his inspiration from clubbing culture.

“Bitches With Wolves is a purveyors and creators of dark and danceable synth pop”. James adds.

But although the industry might be tough, Bitches With Wolves fought it’s way through. “I love a challenge,” James said, “also, as the industry in Ireland is so small, if you want to make a name for yourself and do it full time, you have to look out to the world which is where I find myself now”.

“My first ever gig was in the Button Factory. It was an awesome dress up night and I remember bricking it. I had two dancers with me who were so shit faced that they forgot all their moves and just stared at each other giggling for the whole thing. It was a disaster, but I got through it”. And from that day James reached for the stars, with nothing but his voice and his wardrobe.

He says that his best gig so far was his first performance at Whelans. “It was my first proper one by myself and I was, again, bricking it. I thought there’d be no one there, but the place was packed and the atmosphere was nothing short of amazo”. He said.

James’ wardrobe is probably like nothing you’ve seen before. “Oh I live for my clothes. I just get so much enjoyment out of dressing!” James says. It is clothes in all shapes and colours, and everything from glitter to leather.

However, James is not impressed by the shopping in Dublin. “Actually my Mama is in New York at the moment and just got kicked out of this one shop I love called ‘Alan + Suzi’s’ in Soho for trying to haggle too much. Hilarious and totally my fault as I told her to drive a hard bargain”.

Bitches With Wolves released their first EP, called Hurricane, in October, and James says that it’s been doing great. “I’m really proud of the four songs that it feature. It tells the story of a break up and the stages you go through until you’re able to look back on your time with your ex and be mates”.

His very first album should be expected in 2012 and James has already started working on it. “I am aiming to make an even more dance orientated record. I’m moving over to London in January and can’t wait to get working with some of the people I’ve lined up”. He says.

The music industry might be tough and unpredictable. But one thing is certain, James O’Neill has got the attitude, the talent, and last but not least, the clothes.