Miniatures, Magic and Masterpieces: Exhibitions at the National Gallery

The National Gallery of Ireland is currently undergoing renovations, and so has only limited space for exhibition. While the quantity of the works on display has been restricted, the quality definitely hasn’t. The smaller exhibition space has lent itself to a great variety of works. Rather than a room of landscape works, rooms feature a mixture of  types of paintings -landscapes, portraits, historical, religious, imaginative or genre paintings- making for very interesting viewing.

The Masterpieces of the Collection exhibition showcases some of the highlights of the works at the Gallery. Divided into two sections, Irish and European, it features a variety of paintings, drawings and sculptures. The Irish collection contains works by artists such as W.B. Yeats, William John Leech, John Lavery and Roderic O’Conor. A highlight of the Irish display is definitely The Meeting on the Turret Stairs. Rarely on display due to its delicate nature this is a beautiful painting of the last meeting of two star crossed lovers, a knight and a princess. It has been installed in a special cabinet, and is open for viewing on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11 to 12, and on Saturdays from 2 to 3. The richness of the colours makes it hard to believe this is a watercolour. With a tragic story of doomed love, this is a fascinating work-not just in terms of the artist’s skill, but also the tale behind it.

NGI 2358

Hellelil and Hildebrand, the Meeting on the Turret Stairs

Artist: Frederic William Burton

Danish,19th century, 1864

Watercolour and gouache on paper

Unframed: 95.5 x 60.8 cm

Photo © National Gallery of Ireland

In contrast to the brightness of the Irish section, the European section is dramatic with rich red walls. It features a broad range of works, from Byzantine right up to Cubists. With paintings by Monet, Rembrandt, Caravaggio and Picasso it is an impressive and interesting display. Metsu’s pair of paintings (or pendants) Man Writing a Letter and Woman Reading a Letter are charming, and again have a story to tell. The man is a wealthy merchant-he is richly dressed, has an oriental rug on his table and a globe by the window. He is writing a love letter. In this painting’s pair we see his lover reading the letter. Her hair, plucked except for a curl left on her forehead tells us she is engaged. She is not as wealthy as her lover, and her room is more homely. The painting within a painting shows stormy seas indicating there may be trouble in their relationship.

NGI 4536

Man Writing a Letter

Artist: Gabriel Metsu

Dutch,17th century, c.1664-c.1666

Oil on wood panel

Unframed: 52.5 x 40.2 cm

Photo © National Gallery of Ireland

NGI 4537

Woman Reading a Letter

Artist: Gabriel Metsu

Dutch,17th century, c.1664-1666

Oil on wood panel

Unframed: 52.5 x 40.2 cm

Photo © National Gallery of Ireland

As well as the Masterpieces of the Collection the Gallery have some special exhibitions on at the moment. One such exhibition is the enchanting display of illustrations Fables and Fairytales. Featuring works by John Butler Yeats, Richard and Charles Doyle, Paul Henry and Harry Clarke this small exhibition shows a fascinating selection of illustrations, inspired by fairytales, stories and poetry.  With humorous sketches like Tommy Being Eaten by a Lion or marvellous fairytale scenes such as The Triumphal Pageant: A Fairy Tale this is definitely an exhibition worth seeing. Harry Clarke’s illustrations are superb, for example The Little Sea Maid, an illustration from Hans Christian Anderson’s tale is beautiful, the jewel like colours reminiscent of Clarke’s stained glass windows. Her dress is shaped like a shell, showing her watery origins, as does the wavy blue background.

NGI 2010.3
The Little Sea Maid
Artist: Harry Clarke
Irish,20th century, 1915
Graphite, ink, gouache and watercolour on paper
Unframed: 46 x 33 cm (oval)
Photo © National Gallery of Ireland

The Fables and Fairytales exhibition continues until the 25th of March.

Jenny Duffy

Staff writer