Trinity Orchestra does Pink Floyd

Oliver Nolan

Staff Writer

Coming off incredibly well received performances of Daft Punk’s Discovery album and select Arcade Fire songs, Trinity Orchestra’s choice to tackle Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon is an exciting one. A wildly different beast to those mentioned it might be, but with tickets selling out in 10 minutes for this one-off (for now) performance, expectations are high to say the least.

Pulling no punches, the orchestra choose to open with the Floyd’s slow burning ode to the tragic genius of Syd Barrett, Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The suddenly hushed atmosphere in the exam hall is instantly electrifying, aided by a subtle, effective light show. As with the Daft Punk and Arcade Fire performances, the orchestra is augmented with a live band. Any initial worries regarding those outrageous David Gilmour guitar solos are immediately dispelled. ‘It’s okay guys, it’s yer man who played the solo on Aerodynamic.’ Indeed, guitarist Rob Kearns is more than up to the task. When vocalist Andrew Hozier-Byrne delivers the song’s pay off, it’s clear that the Floyd’s canyon-sized choruses will be most faithfully re-created tonight.

The bar raised, it’s time to charge into the album itself. While the sense of momentous occasion tonight could simply be down to the bombastic nature of the music itself, there’s a real joy to be had in that the orchestra are absolutely nailing it, James O’ Leary’s arrangements perfectly replicating the album’s distinct atmosphere. The visual display projected on the wall of the Exam hall is also a nice touch. Guitar solos are one thing, but recreating Claire Torry’s stratospheric vocals on The Great Gig in the Sky are very much another. The showstopper on an album of showstoppers, vocalist Karen Crowley proves up to the task. It’s the song of the night and instigates a much deserved round of applause. Later, the psychedelic visuals projected during Money are briefly substituted with the Mac ‘You are now running on reserve battery power’ message. Damned technology. Thankfully, the visuals are quickly restored, only briefly taking away from the moment.

There are, naturally in a performance of this scale, a few small issues. Time’s ethereal chorus in is sung by David Tapley of 2011 Trinity Ball BOTB winners Tandem Felix, and is sadly buried in the mix, failing to make its mark beyond the front few rows. The opposite occurs later when Joe Carroll, singer in local band Heroes in Hiding, takes the reins for Us & Them. It’s the first time tonight that the vocals are that little bit too overpowering, due more to sound mix than anything. Yet given that I’m sitting pretty close to the front, maybe it’s just me.

After Brain Damage and Eclipse are recreated in all their OTT glory, a standing ovation follows, along with a list of Thank You’s. We’re then treated to an encore of two of the Floyd’s best-loved songs, Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb. With Kearns’ guitar theatrics bringing the curtain down, a second standing ovation follows. Another triumphant performance to add to the Orchestra’s growing canon.