Euro 2012: England and France wind up groups

John Terry clears the Ukrainian "goal"

Carl Kinsella

Staff Writer

Ukraine 0 – 1 England

A stuttering England nicked three points in Donetsk last night, courtesy of a poacher’s goal from the returning Wayne Rooney and some catastrophically questionable officiating.

It was anything but Wayne’s world throughout the entirety of the first half. Roy Hodgson’s men employed what could best be described as ‘survival tactics’ to weather the onslaught of long-range shots and balls hooked in over their defensive line. Throughout the opening 45 minutes the Ukrainian threat was ever-present but, without Shevchenko or Voronin, markedly limited. Shots from Denys Harmash, Andriy Yarmolenko and Marko Devic either flew well wide of their intended target or were met by ‘heroic blocks’ (whatever they are when they’re at home) by John Terry and Scott Parker.

The home side showed more initiative than the Lions of England could muster, but the most clear cut chance off the half still fell upon the head of Wayne Rooney, returning from a two-match ban for violent conduct. Ashley Young wove through the defence and into ample space on the left wing before placing the ball, point blank, onto his United teammate’s head. Rooney, who looked rusty all game with, a heavy touch (or in some cases, no touch at all), contrived to nod the ball wide from four yards out.

For all England’s faults, they faced a storm in the first half and they weathered it well. The reward for their defensive efforts came just three minutes after the break when Steven Gerrard, thus far justifying Hodgson’s choice to put the captain’s armband on his bicep, tricked his way past Iarmolenko before hammering a low cross into the box. Ukrainian keeper Piatov was left for dead as the ball deflected off two Ukrainian defenders and away from his clutches. The ball hopped up onto the head of Wayne Rooney who obligingly guided it home from roughly half a yard out, masterfully pulling some wool over what had been a weak personal performance.

However, England were unable to turn their lead into momentum, with Milner, Parker and Young all looking somewhat bereft of ideas when attempting to bring the ball forward. Disaster should have struck on the hour mark, but a combination of John Terry’s stamina and the karmic forces of the universe saved England’s blushes. An incisive pass found Marko Devic at the edge of the England box and the striker wrong-footed Joleon Lescott to hammer a shot straight at Joe Hart. The keeper got enough on the strike to take the force from it and the ball slowly looped towards the goal before being hooked “off the line” by John Terry. Much like Frank Lampard’s cancelled-out effort against Germany in South Africa, Devic’s shot had clearly crossed the line. The case for goal-line technology’s newest and most vociferous proponent tonight will be Ukrainian manager Oleg Blokhin but the FA should be as outraged as anyone knowing that two years have passed since they fell victim to poor officiating and that FIFA/UEFA have, ostensibly, done nothing whatsoever to counteract the problem.

This drama wasn’t the end of England’s stay on the tight-rope as a swerving shot from 30-odd yards by Konoplyanka caught Joe Hart flat-footed. The Man City man was forced to shift his weight to punch the ball back into the danger area where Joleon Lescott was awake and able to clear for one of many Ukrainian corners that England spent the last twenty minutes of the game defending. Andriy Shevchenko was introduced to the game to a roaring reception but the Ukrainian hero was able to carve very little for himself against England’s stubborn defence. Eventually he grew frustrated and hacked down Ashley Young, an impetuous challenge typical of a player whose team failed to reap even just a little bit of what they’d sewn all game. The final ten minutes followed the pattern laid down by Shevchenko’s panicked challenge and erratic passing blighted Ukrainian play, wayward crosses eliciting howls of anxiety from an incensed and red-faced Blokhin. It was simply not to be Ukraine’s night, and they’ll be left to wonder how the game could have played out were the officials able to match the performances of their players.

Ibrahimovic strikes an incredible volley

France 0 – 2 Sweden

A 2-0 loss for France to the already-ejected Sweden ensured that England topped Group D and will go on to lock horns with the also-unbeaten Italy in the quarter finals. France have the harder challenge of taking on the holders of the tournament, Spain, having finished second in Group D with a disappointing tally of four points.

France were a shadow of the team they have looked in recent times, as they haplessly succumbed to an energised Swedish onslaught. The opening goal was exceptional. A candidate for goal of the tournament, Zlatan Ibrahimovic latched onto a cross with a stunning scissor-kick into Hugo Lloris’ net. Ibrahimovic reminded us of his sublime but often fleeting talent on the football pitch with this masterstroke before half time. It took until the final minute for the second goal, when Sebastian Larsson of Sunderland punched home Sweden’s final act of the competition. The Swedes leave with their heads held high, while France progress with a whimper; this is their first loss in 24 games. They also move on to face Spain without centre-half Phillip Mexes, who is suspended for the fixture.