Euro 2012: Ireland Bow Out as Italy Qualify

Keith Andrews sees red in Poznan

Conor Bates

Sports Editor

Italy 2 – 0 Ireland

Ireland received what could only be described as a massive reality check from World and European Champions Spain, and as they were left licking their wounds in the wake of defeat, their attention turned to the old enemy…Italy. With mostly pride at stake in this encounter, Ireland had the benefit of knowing that in recent times they had always fared well against the Azzuri, notably almost beating the Mediterranean side at Croke Park in a World Cup qualifier. Going into the competition Italian coach, Cesare Prandelli, stated that Ireland were the team he didn’t want to play in the group stages. This is not least because of recent meetings, but also the glaring fact that Prandelli understudied to Giovanni Trapattoni; Prandelli obviously still considers himself to be the “young grasshopper” to Trap’s “Mr. Miyagi”.

With their own dream over, Ireland could look forward to trying to spoil Italy’s own chances of quarter-final qualification. As Damien Duff lead the team out on the remarkable occasion of his 100th cap, I can only imagine that the team had spent hours watching Toto Schillaci knocking Ireland out of Italia ’90 on repeat, and then followed it up with a VHS of Ray Houghton volleying past Pagliuca four years later in New Jersey. Given the amount of points of contact with Italy, and our own departing situation, this was one we didn’t want to lose.

Like most ambitious plans, this one fell on its face. Ireland were found out as they had been in every game in the Euros. All over the pitch, the solidity that we had experienced in the qualifiers was absent. The masterful Andrea Pirlo marshalled his midfield, easily outclassing Andrews and Whelan through the centre. Kevin Doyle had an early chance which came to nothing, and thereafter for the first half, Ireland couldn’t get the ball into the danger zone. On countless occasions Aiden McGeady gave the ball away in his attempt to play the killer pass. Ireland did have something of an attacking presence in the opening half, but they handled possession with an ineptitude that would have made Vicente del Bosque weep.

The Italians were much more clinical in their forward play, challenging the Irish defence on their ventures. It took until the 35th minute for the Italians to register the score that had been long coming. A catalogue of tail chasing and Irish mistakes gave the Azzuri a corner kick, which Antonio Cassano nodded home; Given flapped instinctively and centurion Damien Duff could only watch the ball cross the line in front of him.

To their credit, the Irish came out in the second half with a bit more fight. They pressed around the pitch, and managed to look dangerous for a brief period. After the hour mark though, the final nails were hammered convincingly into the Irish football coffin. A number of inroads were made, most notably Keith Andrews striking a good freekick straight at Gianluigi Buffon. The class of Italy began to tell on the “boys in green”, with Marchisio, Federico Balzaretti and di Natale causing Ireland problems. The substitutions didn’t come quickly enough, and when they did they were of a questionable nature. Long, Walters and Cox were brought in to absolutely no effect. The major query arising from this is why Stephen Hunt or James McClean were utilised on the wing (or why Wes Houlihan or Seamus Coleman weren’t on the plane in the first place)?

Alas, the two final strokes of the brush saw Keith Andrews take an early bath for two yellow card offenses, the latter being dissent, and Mario Balotelli cracking the ball home from 6 yards. From another set piece, the controversial striker belted home a spectacular volley to seal Ireland’s fate.

This was not a vintage campaign for Ireland. In only their second European Championships, they failed to win a game, and more worryingly, looked God awful for the most part on the pitch. They couldn’t hold onto the ball, never really posed a potent attacking threat and were void of their characteristic stonewall defending. The best part of our whole tournament was probably our support. The amount of people who travelled, created a fantastic atmosphere and took pride in the green jersey was an inspiration to the squad who took to the field. Even at the end of the day when things didn’t go our way, and Roy Keane didn’t approve, the Irish fans were singing “Fields of Athenry” until the final whistle blew in each game. Unfortunately this promotes the “we’re just happy to be there in the first place attitude”, and the FAI will now have to take a long look at the future of Irish football, but perhaps on this occasion, our unconditional fanhood is all we can be thankful for.

Spain 1 – 0 Croatia

In the other Group C encounter, Spain and Croatia began their evening on 4 points each. A draw could have put both teams through, but with the games being played simultaneously, neither could afford to take a chance. Both very attacking sides, the Spaniards employed their classic tiki-taka style of play and the Croats countered with their own flair.

The tie possessed great promise and panache, but was tragically bereft of goals. Neither team could put away the vital goal and both were happy to play the beautiful game without driving for more. It took until the closing stages of the game for Spain to make their superior skill count. Jesus Navas, on as a sub for Torres, tapped the winner in from close range in controversial fashion. Cesc Fabregas chipped the ball to Andres Iniesta. It was questionable whether the latter was onside when the ball was played, and the tension heightened when the Barcelona star appeared to handle the ball in an effort to control it. With possession he duly squared the ball to Navas, who put Spain into the quarter finals.

Group A

Czech Republic 1 – 0 Poland

The other final group games had thrown up some surprises as well. In Group A, the Czech Republic saw off host nation Poland, to bring their tally to 6 points. After embarrassment at the hands of Russia, the Czechs had dispatched of a lacklustre Greek team, and their 1-0 win over Poland saw them through the group. Petr Jiracek’s goal gifted them first place, while Poland slumped to the bottom of the table on 2 points.

Greece 1 – 0 Russia

In one of the biggest shocks of the tournament thus far, Greece, arguably the most mediocre team in the competition, stunned the high flying Russians, to progress to the knockout stages. Russia were hot favourites to top the group and annihilate the Greeks with one fell swoop, but it was Giorgios Karagounis who fired the Spartan side into the last eight. A first-half injury-time goal proved to be enough to see off Russia, who couldn’t find a way to the goal, and crashed out in a most unexpected style. With both sides finishing on 4 points, UEFA’s “head-to-head” rule saw Greece advance ahead of Russia.

Lukas Podolski scores for Germany

Group B

Denmark 1 – 2 Germany

Group B, the ill-famed “Group of Death”, came to its timely conclusion on Sunday evening. Germany wrapped up their group exploits with a third win, giving them the maximum 9 points. Their victims for this game were Denmark. Lukas Podolski struck first for Germany, who are the University Times favourites to take the biggest prize in European international football. Michael Krohn-Dehli, Denmark’s hero from the first match, levelled the score within ten minutes. Lars Bender had the final say, however, as he picked up on a measured through ball, and placed the ball into the Danish net. The 2-1 win left Denmark eliminated on 3 points, while Germany now take on Greece in the quarter-finals.

Portugal 2 – 1 Netherlands

The Netherlands needed to win, and win well, if they were to have any hope of qualifying. A disastrous campaign got even worse for the Oranje, as they met Portugal in the final group tie. Holland started well, with Rafael van der Vaart opening the scoring on 11 minutes. The Dutchmen had been dismal in all areas throughout the tournament, and despite the lead, they couldn’t capitalise, and were ultimately made to pay. The enigmatic Cristiano Ronaldo struck either side of half time to give Portugal a 2-1 lead, and a victory. Holland will know that it could easily have been more and that they are to blame for shoddy performances in the Euros. With the classic Dutch infighting rife in the camp, and a string of bad results to boot, Bert van Marwijk looks set to lose his job at the helm of the “total football” machine. Portugal meet Czech Republic in the quarters.