A Statement from the Opinion Editor

A number of weeks ago, an article was published by The University Times Opinion Section as part of a series of articles on the subject of same-sex marriage. It had been received a week prior to its publication, and an extensive rewrite from the author was requested. We received a second draft the following week, and it was sent for publication without proper consideration of its potential impact. After a series of conversations with the editor, we decided that it was in the best interest of the newspaper and its readers to remove this article on the basis that it had wider ramifications, beyond the hypothetical expression of a student’s opinion. The thought that the article might find its way to an incoming, or current LGBT student and cause them hurt about who they are or who they want to be was an upsetting concept for us and ultimately, we could not stand by the content of this article. While the author is entitled to his opposition to same-sex marriage for whatever reasons of conscience he may have, the tone of the piece was ill-considered and potentially hurtful, and our publication of it on the day of the Leaving Cert results  was ill-timed.

The controversy surrounding this article has caused a great deal of self-examination for me and many of the UT staff, and perhaps a greater consideration for what it is that we are trying to achieve with this newspaper. I would like to take this opportunity to state that an article will never again be retracted by the Opinion section once it has been published. We must create a forum for all students to express their opinions, and not be afraid to publish unpopular articles again. The aforementioned article will not be re-published however, as it has already been closely examined and debated on Broadsheet.ie and threads on our own Facebook page. In that context, republishing the article would serve little benefit to anyone at this late stage.

There will be articles on the subject of same-sex marriage (both pro and anti) from The University Times in the future, as the struggle for equality continues. It is my sincere hope that Trinity students will continue, as they always have done, to engage constructively with these, and all other Opinion section discussions.

Matthew Taylor

Opinion Editor