The Bourne Legacy – Review

Vladimir Rakhmanin

Deputy Online Editor

I’ve never really been a fan of the Bourne trilogy, even though I understand the importance of those films in modern cinema. I have no problem with the plot or the acting, which is gripping and immediate when you consider the genre – my main problems lie with the cinematography. It could be said that the Bourne films, particularly the second and third instalments, introduced the ‘shaky cam’ technique that has become a staple of action cinema. Coupled with rapid editing, the film becomes more immediate, and adds a degree of realism to the proceedings. I personally feel that it looks sloppy, but objectively, I cannot ignore the fact that this trilogy is an important one for popular cinema.

Going into The Bourne Legacy, I wasn’t expecting great things. Being a reboot of a trilogy that was in itself conclusive, and lacking Matt Damon as the protagonist that we are so used to, the film had the potential to be an exercise in futility, a generic spy/action thriller trying to coast by on the franchise name. Unfortunately, these expectations turned out to be mostly correct.

For a start, while Jeremy Renner’s sombre intensity with a human touch works well within the context of the plot, not enough character build-up is given to make his character, Aaron Cross, memorable. Of course Matt Damon’s shoes are hard to fill – secondary characters often mention Jason Bourne in passing during the film, giving us a grim reminder of how much more interesting the previous protagonist was.

The film also has some terrible, terrible pacing issues. The first two-thirds comprise almost entirely of dialogue, with some mild action sequences to do with the protagonist. Now, this might have been acceptable had it been done well, but it’s not. The dialogue in question is difficult to follow, even for those who are familiar with the franchise – it is also very technical. This leaves us bored and confused – a combination which is lethal for a film of this genre.

The action that takes place in the beginning is also poorly handled. We are thrown straight into the middle of things and are expected to care for the main character, but when we know almost nothing about him, this is impossible. So when the explosions and rifle shots begin, we are left with mere spectacle with no substance.

That’s not to say that things went completely wrong.  The last third of the film is very well done, and features some genuinely exciting chase/parkour sequences. An escape from a medical facility is particularly thrilling, and includes some amusing episodes of deception of authority. It is here where the film shines – had the entirety of the picture been of this quality, perhaps it would have been more memorable.

Unfortunately, even the ending of the film has some flaws. A villain is introduced very late in the game, with absolutely no backstory. I can understand the need for this kind of character in the plot, but there’s nothing special about him at all to make him stand out from the other villains in the film. Also, once the final chase ends, the film ends really abruptly. There’s not much closure, and there’s a blatant set-up for a sequel.

To sum up, The Bourne Legacy is a fairly generic action thriller with not that many thrills to go around – it delivers some exciting set-pieces, but they arrive too late in the game to redeem the film.